Friday, August 18, 2017

Magical Mystery Tour: A Calling Card Extravaganza

It was about 1:30 in the morning, the eve of the first day of school. I was restless, couldn't sleep. So I just stared into the darkness of my room and envisioned a blank wall. I tried to imagine what a wall, that would encompass my mindful philosophy and student personalities, would look like. In the past, I have used 'All About Me' and other colorful handouts for students to share their backgrounds and interests. But, these stayed up for a few days, maybe a week and then ended up in the recycle bin (student choice). So I wanted to do something different this year. Incorporate the same basic idea, but also have it purposeful and relevant every day. A long-lasting and impactful design where students were building a community not just talking about themselves.

What came to mind was my UCLA quad community board. There was everything from lost cat signs to I need a partner to study fliers. It was always a messy, hodge-podge of student communication. This intrigued me. I knew I wanted something like this but with more purpose and interaction. I didn't want students to make something big, but something small and meaningful. I envisioned a business style card. A calling card, as I decided to name them. Something students can read and use to find like-minded students. Students who share the same interests and this in turn will help us become a community rather than a classroom. 

This concept came to fruition and became visible on the second day of school. I handed students various colored card stock, cut small like a business cards, and gave them three requirements: create your personal motto, logo and share three strengths that will enhance your learning and the learning of your classmates, or community members, in this class.

They created their calling cards and then we had a ten minute 'mingle' where students had to introduce themselves to three different students they did not know or that they knew, but rarely interacted with. Then they hung them on the community board. These will be used throughout the year to create pairs, collaborative groups and for students to find other people who share their passions and hobbies. 

I spent yesterday afternoon just reading over all these amazing cards. Students are also stopping to read over the board. It is becoming another focal point for our student-centered classroom.










No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...