Monday, November 20, 2017

Nostalgia: How 1980's Music Rejuvenated My Spirit: Part One

"Hills and valleys" my grandmother used to say to me, on those days where the bullying became too much to bear. The surface of our landscape is never level, nor is it smooth. There will be days when the sun is obscured amidst a thickness, like no other. You know it is there, a glimmer of its pervasiveness seeps in and out, almost on schedule. But, it quickly dissipates as soon as it appears. Voices of wisdom and strength echo in, like whispers of yesterday. Memory meeting immediate. Depending on our personal climate, each day can be clear and sunny, cloudy with a chance of rain, or any atmospheric condition in between. "Optimism", my grandmother used to say, "is a weather pattern, humid with our tears, but also a cool, breezy day, if we allow ourselves to feel it."

I have discovered recently, however, that even with the best intentions, that a cool breeze can become a full-blown hurricane in a moment’s notice. The only way to keep the surge at bay, is to pay attention to the weather reports. Prepare for the flood, because often, it breaks through the barricade and topples over, even our most positive outlook. In no way is this defeatist, I know I can face any barrage or storm that steers its way in my direction. I have noticed, however, this shadow, haunting those around me. They begin the day in a confident, decisive frame of mind, but with the input of a downtrodden or negative person, their whole demeanor changes. They deflate like a balloon. This I think happens because we often do not consider that weather, unpredictable and chaotic, is not permanent. Not only is there seasonal change, but daily modulations, even hourly, depending on the meteorological front moving in. We need to keep an umbrella around, just in case. I think it is critical we look to others to help us block the storm. I am putting myself out there for anyone who needs it. I am your rain coat on a stormy day.

I know from living through a childhood of bullying, that my viewpoint is just that, my perspective. The determination of bullies can be undermined, if I believe in myself. If I choose to let those goblins and monsters that taunt me, defeat me, then they will win. But if the fiends that attempt to sour my existence, are mere passing clouds in the day’s events, then they too shall pass. Pessimism can only find me if I show it the way. Optimism can win any battle against malignancy, if I use it as a shield. As much as I want others to see my vision and hear my point-of-view, it is not always going to happen. The important thing for me, is to remember where I came from, how each obstacle built the framework, that is me. What has shaped me into the person I am today. This melody creates my hopefulness and idealism.

I grew up in the 1980's. I think that is why "Stranger Things" resonates so much with me. I was a Freshman in high-school, at the time the show takes place. I didn't live near a hell mouth, thank goodness, although there were some demons that crossed my path. The music, culture and teenage attitude, depicted in the show, are familiar and embody my personality on almost every level. Remembering those times are not painful anymore, they are empowering, and the music is inspiring and motivating, just as it was when I was immersed in the decade.

I changed a lot in the 1980's, once I reached high school, my positive, optimistic, life began.










No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...