Sunday, September 6, 2020

Three Weeks, 192 Students, A Screen of Many, A Plan to Connect (250)

Not the Same

I must admit, it doesn't feel like teaching. At least not how teaching used to feel. It feels like the knot has untied and I am floating in a sea of canoes and gondola's. Somehow, we know why, the dock has been damaged and what used to be eyes and smiles has now become- small boxes of energy, floating on a screen. 

I can see them, hear them, watch the scene as pets, siblings and parents walk past. It was kind of chaotic at first. But then I learned to tune out the background and focus on the foreground- students. But the uneasiness, the current keeps me bouncing up and down- I feel in constant seasickness mode.

Its been three weeks of school. 192 students divided into six classes- some really large, others manageable and small. We were discouraged from using breakout sessions within Zoom, so I had to design an alternate plan to get to know my students, individually. 

The Same

I brought back 1-minute check in's but now I do them in groups of 2-3. I stay live on Zoom and in Canvas Conversation- also a virtual, visual platform in our district virtual platform- I have small groups join- this I look at through my laptop. Dual screens essentially.

This way on one computer I see all my students in my class (in Zoom), and on my laptop, I can see the 2-3 students in a different group. These last few meetings, we introduced ourselves, shared our ideas and discussed weekly topics. Each week the groups shuffle around, allowing students to meet one another and build a community. 

Sometimes we are on camera, others just audio, but we have smaller group conversations and it has helped immensely in so many ways: I have learned their names, I am starting to recognize their faces (I have 49 in 3 classes) it's a lot of students, and I see more camaraderie in the larger group, now that they feel more comfortable with each other.

More students are answering questions out loud when prompted, using the chat box to ask questions and I can see that they are more engaged now that know me better. I have always believed in 1-minute check in's, but without being able to use break out sessions, I needed to find a safe way to integrate them into my synchronous classroom. 

The Beginning

Now that three of my classes are moving face to face, I can do 1-minute check-in's individually. I have a large plastic barrier I can put between us. Not my ideal situation, but necessary at this time.

I have also set a tone of let's get through this together -and I have been extremely flexible and forgiving of any late assignments. Zeroes are distancing. They push students away even more. I send reminders and words of encouragement through messaging on Canvas daily, for students who are missing assignments, and most assignments are being turned in quickly thereafter. Students thank me for the reminder. Another way to create a positive environment.

Another way to build community is to have coffee/tea Zoom meetings with parents. Have them display their favorite mugs- it is a good conversation starter. This gives parents a way to ask questions in a less formal setting. Setting the tone for cooperation and community.

For students, on Friday's we have a scavenger hunt- they share their favorite items and we get to know one another as a group, by finding commonalities with one another. It is fun indeed. They hold up their items and then I use a randomizer to allow different students to share their favorite things.

The Groove

Small group 1-minute check-in's and get to know you meetings are a great way to connect with students in a larger classroom setting. In my three classes of nearly 50- it is the only way I can recognize their individuality and see their unique perspectives. 

By, getting to know parents too, I am building a great virtual community. Lastly, we all know we have a curriculum, we have to have grades, assessments and daily work. For us it needs to by synchronous, daily Zoom meetings. How can we balance it all?

It is hard sometimes to make time for the simple, mindful moments of laughter and story-telling. 

But, we need too. 

It is so important these days to make every student feel connected in a large virtual classroom. Now that about 1/4 of my students are coming back into my classroom- I feel like I can strengthen relationships even more. But, I also need to find new ways to strengthen those I have with my virtual students.

I play music every day as they enter the waiting room. 

We take a few minutes to share our thoughts and talk about mindfulness, but in such large classes it is important to find ways to connect in different spaces. Canvas Conversation is how I found to do that. Plus with podcasts, 2-minute video reflections, weekly moments of giggles and play, and using their names, making eye contact, asking them about themselves. It all adds up. 

Everything we do feels like its being scrutinized. Parents are listening.

We have so much on our plates, I know I do. 

Keeping it Real

I need to use simple, fast and easy ways to make sure my community is strengthening. 

New software and apps is not going to do it. I need something I am familiar with. Canvas and Zoom, Bulb and Flipgrid. Find what works for you and make it happen. Get creative. Be flexible. Build relationships in every way possible. 

It is going to be a long year, with lots of changes- if we have relationships at the forefront, everything else will fall into place. 192 students will feel like a community. And, in the end- the smiles and personalities with make everything worth it.

But, to be honest. It does not feel like teaching. At least not how it used to feel. It is education flip on its head and we as teachers feel like a giant waves has crashed us on a shore of sharp shells and hot sand. It does not feel like a welcoming cove or summer spot. It feels abandoned, damaged after a hurricane.

Skies are dark with glimpses of light within the layers of clouds. Ever changed. Weather, unpredictable and fierce. The situation is the same. We feel untethered. Yet, we have an anchor. We may be bouncing in the winds of change, but our anchors, each other, out students, they will forever be the dock from which we tie off our boats.

I for one know the rope is sturdy and my boat is strong. I know this year will be full of a few capsizes, but my boat will flip itself over. I will wear a life vest and I will keep my gaze focused on the horizon- for it will be the constant, when everything else might be unpredictable- our grace and hope will be the perpetual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...