Friday, August 27, 2021

Their Eyes Tell the Story: Figuring Students Out

Covid-19 has changed the field of education, as well as just about all other aspects of our lives. What was once largely based on learning faces, hearing their loud and clear voices, and watching them smile and laugh- is now muffled and covered. It feels weird to never see their curious and engaged faces. It is a world of masks. A classroom of sterile learning and hidden emotions. I don't know about you- but it has been challenging to put a name to a shielded appearance.

I loved hearing laughter and conversations buzzing. Now it is difficult to hear them. I am almost constantly asking students to talk louder so I can hear them from behind their masks. I still do group work, albeit in smaller groups (isolated to assigned tables). There is no makerspace, students should not be sharing supplies. But I do have some markers in a bucket and students wash them down with sanitation wipes. It feels very different than years past.

I had some classes in person last year, when many were 100% virtual- so I got to see their shining, eager faces every day, at least some of my students. It was surreal last year, mask covered conversations led me to really pay attention to my students eyes. Eyes tell a story, we are just used to the tales coming from the verbal. I miss seeing their smiles- it does really help make connections. But, I think we are all getting used to interacting from behind a cloak or veil.

Recently I have been having students express themselves using only their eyes. Going wide for surprise or looking down if they feel sullen or confused. We are making sure we use our eyes as a form of expression when our words seem distant. I ask them to also use their hands a lot more to express themselves- crossed fingers for restroom break, a fist for confusion, two fists for I understand. Little subtle action that can be seen from across the room.

But voices are the human bridge- they are the vibration that winds together to form the tether between us- teacher and student. So I have trained myself to speak slower, louder and more direct. If they can't see my facial expression, they often don't understand my intent. I repeat myself more than I have in the past. I ask them a lot of questions. The eyes tell the story- if I use my eyes as a guide with my verbal tone- it helps them focus and engage.

There is a lot of computer use at my new school- Chrome Books in class, Google Classroom, and I do use them- but I feel hands on learning is still so critical- it is more so after a year of many of these students being isolated on Zoom or Google Meets. They need interaction. They need to make eye contact and hear student engagement happening. So daily we are playing with Lego or drawing comics, or writing songs and skits. The more they interact and collaborate the better.

Mindfulness is still integrated into my #teachmindful classroom. We watch "Mindful Minutes" videos on You Tube, write mindfulness prompts and have classroom discussions on how we feel, what is stressing us out. It is so important that students feel the freedom to share their emotions- because a mask hides them. They need the chance to let loose too, and just be kids.

Figuring students out this year- these last three weeks- has been fun. A bit rocky at first, again masks hide their personalities. But, I have been playing Spotify music (modern classroom appropriate songs) to let them sing while they are working on projects. I have been talking a lot about their interests and telling jokes and getting silly. This has let me see their eyes smile. Even behind their masks I have begun to hear their excitement more and see them engage more.

It is not going to be back to the way it was pre-Covid- classrooms with more organized chaos and makerspaces, stations and moving around the room freely- any time soon. It is about precautions and safety protocols now. But, we can create safe ways for students to collaborate. We can keep things clean and sterile all the while learning in a fun, interactive classroom. I strive for that every day. I take lessons and tweak them every morning to have a twist.

These twists keep them safe, keep within the safety protocols but also gives some surprise. A new way of doing things so they feel the unexpected amongst the routine. My eyes tell a story too. I widen them when I am speaking, I use my hands a lot when I am speaking to them, and I am overly animated sometimes. This pulls them in. The more we use our eyes to communicate the more we will feel a deeper connection. That is what they are seeking most of all, after the last year, to feel a part of a classroom, a school, a community.

So eyes expressive, voice exciting, body language energetic everyone- and lets make this story, this school year memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...