Friday, December 22, 2017

Three Spirits of A Learning Environment: A Visit from Classroom Past, Present and Future


“The happiness he gives is quite as great, as if it cost a fortune.”- Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol”

Time, family, friends, simple gestures of kindness and joy: these are all free and effortless, but often they feel, like they cost a fortune. Not because of any other reason, then that they make us see ourselves in the bigger scheme of things. That by just partaking and participating, in the life we have built, without desire of return, we truly become balanced: and that balance becomes happiness and happiness becomes reality.

There are many holiday movies, that resonate with us, this time of year. "It's a Wonderful Life," "A Christmas Carol," and 'Miracle on 34th Street," just to name a few. These are the films that make us remember our lives and remind us, to continue, to see the silver lining. They trigger both reflection and optimism: showing us we can always improve our lives and those of others. That we impact so many, who revolve around us, just as they make an imprint, on us. When we understand that every action has a counter reaction, we begin to strategize and rationalize, about our own behavior and its effect and repercussions.

The holiday spirit, often, orbits around our personal lives: how we embrace family and support our friends. It is about recognizing why we love and cherish, those we surround ourselves with. The essence of these few weeks, is about giving of ourselves, enjoying the moments of comfort, delight and festivity, we are deprived of, the rest of the year. As the holly and mistletoe are hung with care, the tree is decorated with the lights of renewal. We are blessed with an assemblage of our loved ones, who arrive to celebrate and reminisce about the previous year, and the new one, that is upon us.


“No space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused” -Charles Dickens, “A Christmas Carol”

Reflection is a gift. In times of hustle and bustle, we often neglect to open the package. We place it under the Christmas tree, or in the pile of presents, to be opened later. During this time of year, as teachers, we so desperately need a respite from our classroom. We need to venture away from campus and breathe. Take in the crisp air of freedom and simply welcome in our personal lives. It can be challenging for some, me included, because back in the recesses of our minds, lies not sugar plum fairies and candy canes but our students and the learning environment, we have built, to make a difference.

Where New Years has a built-in remembrance meter: telling us to write our resolutions.  These we often toss to the side, within a few weeks. As the feeling of overload and strain, returns to our lives. Christmas, just lets us soak it all in. The holidays, provide the opportunity for a reboot of mind and spirit. I have been doing just that: being mindful of my time and devoting it to laughing and playing with my children and family. Just enjoying every moment. This blog post is being written as everyone is out shopping and I am sitting in the coolness of the Albuquerque air, watching the sun creep over the Sandia’s. A perfect time to write and reflect.


“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.” -Charles Dickens, “A Christmas Carol

Last night, as I played a board game with my children, I reveled in the ease of contentment. The free flowing, organic, sensibility of knowing each other so well, brings. Trusting one another, delivers a level of honesty and vulnerability, that is often only embraced, within a close-knit family. This got me pondering, as I have been doing a lot lately, that this same level of emotion and mindset, is not limited to family. It is a way of thinking, that educators employ as well. It is a commonality, found in every successful classroom.

I have made it my goal as a person: a mother, wife, teacher, colleague, friend, to not just listen, but to be present and engaged, with those around me. To offer mindfulness, in every action, I perform. If I neglect to recognize where I have come from and what has led me to this place in my life, I can become too comfortable in my surroundings. If I allow myself to become too relaxed and satisfied, then I can also allow myself, to become stagnate. The only way to be truly happy, humorous and full of laughter, is to continually seek, the unexpected and stimulating. The spontaneity of life is contagious. Irresistibly so.

Whether we are gathered around a table full of holiday treats with family and friends, or a makerspace full of interesting and challenging academic delicacies, with our students, the result is the same: discovery, excitement and joy, at the opportunity to collaborate and share common experiences. Life is as breath-taking and provocative, as we make it. The holidays highlight this. They make even the most mundane, seem magical, because we are with family that we love. In our classrooms, the community, the family, when emblazoned with laughter and good humor as well, will make every day irresistible.


“I will live in the past, the present, and the future. The spirits of all three shall strive within me.”- Charles Dickens, “A Christmas Carol

I have been reflecting a lot on my various classrooms, over the past 15 years. I can hardly believe I have been an educator for that long. Seems like only yesterday, I entered my first arena, a month in to school. It was a difficult time for me, I was ill-prepared for what would face me. There was no sense of community in the room, rather a sense of abandonment, of a very free-spirited teacher with virtually no discipline. I am sure she figured she was leaving and just had fun, with little behavior management. I never did get that class fully cohesive. I was fresh out of my student-teaching, and had no sense of myself as a teacher, let alone as a disciplinarian.

The next few years were much easier as I taught 7th and 8th grade and thus had the same students for more than a year. This is when I was fully immersed into a classroom community. Yet, still my true voice was not unleashed. I was holding back. There were strict guidelines as to how to teach the curriculum, and my energy and self-expression, just did not fit into their model. It took a change of schools, my second of three, to unleash my exuberance and animation as an educator. This was when I committed and let loose, and it showed. My classroom was full of laughing, active, interacting, students: both eager and equipped to jump in to learning.

I admit, it took me at least seven years to become a good teacher. At least three more to become an even better one. I am still a work in progress. I have great days, where the synchronicity is there and others where the lesson falls flat. I have activities that students are still talking about months later and others, where they have forgotten them, by the time they reach the door. I always try to change things up and every year, take on something completely different. 

What works, works, but can always become better, more engaging and more meaningful. With each year, comes new faces, new personalities and new interests. I look back a lot on classroom past. I have only two, this is only, my third school in fifteen years. Each has brought challenges and rewards but my current one, has been the most so, in both categories.


“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead,” said Scrooge. “But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!” ― Charles Dickens, “A Christmas Carol

The future classroom is yet to come, but I am certain, it will be at the same location. With the comfort and coziness of my current academic abode, also comes the continual battle to innovate and inaugurate new ideas. To be the pioneer, through the vastness of judging eyes and threatened stagnancy. When we push through the barrier, we often topple, an old regime. We must be prepared to take fire, even when the landscape seems barren. If we have shield and armor, we can truly conquer any opposition. We must lean in, to the siege, for only then, will we see success on the horizon.

The holidays are upon us, each with a unique tradition of familial joy and delight. As we traverse this time of wonderment and bliss, may each one of us find our inner peace. May we raise a glass to the experiences of 2017 and carry what we have gained, with us into 2018.

Hurricane Harvey, a new President and more tragic events than can possibly be mentioned, have fallen upon us this year. But, through them all, we have been given insight and enlightenment, that have shaped our outlook and follow-through. We are leaders not only of our families but of our community of educators: both on-line and on our campuses. We are pathfinders, trailblazers and explorers. We share, we read, we accept all opinions and insights, with a sense of curiosity and marvel.


I am so honored to know each and everyone of you. Whom, on a daily basis, inspire and humble me. I send three spirits to all of you: classroom past, classroom present and classroom future, hoping they will bring forth, for you, a sense of calm and pride, as they have done for me. May holiday cheer embrace you and bring you jubilance, good cheer and solace, that with every day you are making a tremendous difference, in the lives of your students, family and friends and that you truly are, a Christmas miracle, not fading with the season, but enduring throughout every challenge, obstacle and encumbrance that lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...