Thursday, February 17, 2022

Mask Mandate Lifted #49

Most states already lifted their mask mandate. I think it was just New Mexico and Hawaii that were left. So our governor lifted ours at 1:00 pm today. It was sudden. No one saw it coming. Least of all schools. I heard about it on social media. Then at about 4:00 pm our school sent out an email and robocall. Masks are now optional.

The debate lingers here, as everywhere. Sides, debates, fits of rage and condescending stares are running amok. So it will, I am sure, filter into the campus and cause some situations on Monday. I've been behind a mask in school, in Texas and  New Mexico for two years. It feels a necessary step is warranted, normalcy is warranted- but the conversation needs to stay alive.

The concerns of many need to be addressed. I have stayed out of the conversation- heated, tumultuous arguments are not my jam. But I am sure there will be some on Monday. I will carry a mask around with me. If I am near a student I will put it on. If I am lecturing or at my desk away from students I might take it off. Either way it is a choice. I feel this choice is necessary.

Many of the teachers at my campus feel uncertain and will wear one all the time. Some won't wear one at all. The same for students- many whom are vaccinated while many are not. It is a familial thing and an individual thing- a choice and I for one feel choice is important. We probably will see a surge of cases as new germs are assimilated and dispersed- but we need to try to find a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...