Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Cherry, Carnations, and Chocolate

Valentines Day as adults it entails wooing our partners with roses and heart-shaped boxes of chocolates. Romantic dinners and love in the air. But in a school setting especially a junior high, it is a hormonal feast of balloons, giant bears, and red candy:  Fun Dips, lollipops, candy bars. A cornucopia of hyperactivity, sugar rush, and excitement. During our advisory classes PTA moms delivered vases of valentines carnations with love and friendship notes. It made me smile and reminded me of Mean girls when Gretchen Weiners does not get a holiday gram.


I was standing in the hall before class and I couldn't help laughing at the sea of red, the smell of cherry permeating my sinuses. I have memories of hating this holiday because I never received a rose or box of chocolates, at least not until high school. It seems sad to me that so many students are overlooked. I understand the celebratory and fundraising reasons why, but we never take the time to notice how impactful being forgotten can be on a child. So this is what I put on my smartboard yesterday. I am a huge Dr. Who fan (Whovian) if you didn't already know. I wanted to make sure any student passing through my classroom understands that love and compassion do not come in the form of chocolate, cherry sweetness or carnations.



 I had one student in my advisory get so excited they received a carnation only to frown when he realized it was from his mother. I giggled but he didn't appreciate the gesture. Sometimes a simple gesture, smile, hug means the world to a student and being Dr. Who made it personalized and genuine. Every student should be recognized and appreciate every day but especially on days like Valentine's Day when being popular means you get all the flowers and tokens of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...