Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Synergy of Math and Science

The beauty of science, sound, symmetry, photosynthesis, the human body occurs from the principles of calculations, dimensions, chemical equations and the understanding of complex relationships. The position of the sun, rotation of the Earth, seasonal budding of spring flowers can be understood using mathematics. I have never been good at mathematics, but when I see its application to the world I live in, the subject I teach, the processing of new information it has become a part of me. It is my heart rate, blood pressure and the atmospheric pressure at which I reside within. It is the pixels on my television, the wireless data streaming past me and the electromagnetic force that surrounds me. It is both the dilation of my pupils to the amount of genes that help me decide what my interests and hobbies are. Genetics, metabolism, homeostasis. It is the silence lacking resonance and the din of voices within a crowded room. It is both the level of excitement and the calming force of sleep. Science and mathematics are synthesized, unified and inseparable.

If I understand this then mathematics becomes a feeling rather than a process. A level of complexity rather than mere addition and subtraction. The hollowness of time meeting the brightness of now. A completion, a semblance, a harmony of life and abstract. I grew up hating math because I never had a teacher explain to me its purpose, its drive in every aspect of creation. I saw it as a distraction not a focus. I just need to listen to the sequence of equilibrium and the fluctuation of change and from that the fluidity of everything. As I sit here in the calm of the evening sun, the waves of light, blades of grass, resonance of city dwelling entomb me within the numbers, the physics, chemistry, anatomy and beauty of existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...