Friday, June 16, 2017

Concept to Application: Is a Student-Centered Classroom Right For You?

This is my first attempt at writing what I will call a concept to application article. I generally write more free form but today, after teaching two classes on the subject and having conversations with many teachers I felt that I needed to write a more purposeful and meaningful piece about student-centered classrooms and how this style of education has changed my teaching forever.

Student-Centered Classrooms-What Are They Really?

Ask a teacher what a student-centered classroom is and they will tell you, students working and collaborating, flexible seating, and makerspaces or student options of demonstration of knowledge. They will explain that they are full of engaged students with choice of process, product, or procedures, performing authentic, student-led relevant and interesting activities designed for learning and growth to take place. This is true but they are so much more than that. It is not merely a location, or student generated atmosphere it is a frame of mind that comes from a lot of observation, check-ins with students, remediation and enrichment tables, mobility and malleability but most importantly student voice: they are the writers, generators, designers, implementers and listeners. Students need to not only be the participators but the creators as well. This is the hard part. As teachers’ we want to control the information, the guidelines and the rules, but for a true student-centered classroom to evolve teachers must no longer be presenters of knowledge but catalysts that keep the momentum and energy of the classroom flowing so that students can take-risks, fail fast and change their outlooks continually.

What Does a Student-Centered Classroom Physically Look Like?  

Flexible seating is the first necessity. Not just a variety of seating but the option to be mobile and switch tables or find a quiet nook to study independently. Students can sit where they want, work with whomever they choose and can of course have the freedom to talk and interact. Even if the conversations get off topic, as they often do, if there is some pressure: based on pacing, deadlines and student motivation built in to the framework, students feel the sense of urgency and this usually keeps them on the straight and narrow. Makerspaces are the best option for students to be able to see endless possibilities, tinker, design and create their best option. They have choice and they need the tools, and the tinkering process in which to bring their ideas to fruition. These makerspaces can be technology based with I-pads, Arduinos and Maker Maker items or they can be purely artistic with paper, pipe cleaners and Play-doh. Either way they need to be at the center of the classroom, accessible always and of course a little bit messy to elude a feeling of availability, convenience and cleverness.

                             




I have always been the teacher that decorates every inch of my walls with colorful and relevant posters. Leaving a space or two for student work to be displayed. But no more. The walls need to be incorporated into the student-centered arena by remaining minimal and often blank until students choose to put something on them. A giant interactive word wall, a chalk-board in my classroom is a place where students complete interactive formative assessments and doodle their ideas. This year I am adding my new concept an EDISON board (Evidence Driving Inquiry and Science Observations Now) where the whole back wall will be a giant "crime-scene" style board with thumb tacks and yarn connecting a student-driven "big picture" concept map. Articles, pictures, vocabulary anything they want to add to make it a cohesive account of their learning and growth over the quarter.

                                



Finally, the room should be comfortable and cozy. Not a place of bright lights and rows but one of softer seating, optimal to a student’s learning style including standing desks, giant cushions, rugs, round community tables, group circles and even pacing paths and think tanks. Stations and centers that are both mobile and accessible when students want to change things up. Allow them options and they will choose the style of seating that they feel most connected to each day. Often, they work in groups but I also see just as often a student choosing a corner or spot on the floor to independently complete the activity of the day. When students feel comfortable and are given time to ease into their study routine, they will be more likely to commit and stay engaged in their learning practices.

How Did I Set Up My Student-Centered Classroom?

Step one, flexible seating with standing desks, round-tables and science desks. However, this needs enhancement and next year giant cushions, rugs and some areas where students can pace-pace paths, and a think-tank an isolated, corner where a group of students can have some privacy to design and create activities for the classroom or simply to just think away from the rest of the students. A student-centered classroom must begin with a comfortable, cozy, home-like feeling where students feel safe to explore and take-risks without penalty or judgement. If you have no budget for a variety of seating options just allow students to move the desks or tables around and sit where they feel most engaged in learning.


Step two, mindfulness and awareness of student need and voice. Every week I ask my students to help design lessons, reflect on the weeks activities, and provide me feedback on my teaching. Usually the feedback is anonymous and on a google survey. But, I read them positive or negative and use them as the impetus to improve the class dynamic. It is necessary to constantly be open-minded and growth oriented because as much of my classroom operates successfully and efficiently, there are times where things go wrong but rather then hiding the mistakes or glossing over them I use them as learning experiences, more so for myself then for them. On occasion, what begins as a simple activity may venture into a more rigorous challenge or an activity that begins one way adapts or transforms into a different one altogether. At times they even get scratched, resulting in an entirely new model. Either way the important thing is to have the flexibility in which anything can happen. I continually ask myself, is this me teaching students science or students teaching themselves science. If ever in doubt, let them figure it out. I usually do this by minimizing the directions.

Recently, my students had a self-directed conference on Texas Ecoregions. Rather than saying “Today you are going to research Texas Eco-regions, I said “I am an investor and I want to spend billions of dollars in one region of Texas- tell me why I should choose yours.” This removed the word research, making it sound less boring and it gave them the opportunity to choose their region, find out what it must offer, and justify it to an investor. It turned a research project into a student-centered activity, conference and all.





Step three, I had to learn a lot about myself. I like to have control and giving it up was the hardest thing I did as a teacher. I like order and organization and it was very stressful for me to let go knowing that a little organized chaos was coming my way. I know that my brain is radical and the things I allow my students to do is as well. I am always fearful that people will judge me or think that my students are misbehaving or not learning in my classroom. This I struggle with still. Naysayers judge and I am misunderstood by many but I keep doing what I am doing, letting go of the reigns and allowing my students to be free-spirited to roam and explore on their own to problem solve and grow. Why do I continue to take-risks knowing that at first there will be failures and setbacks? Because the only things that matter is that students are learning and excited about science and in my classroom, they are. Parents are thrilled, students are engaged and based on feedback and test scores I know students are successfully growing as learners.

Step four, baby steps. Be reasonable with yourself. Is it possible to let go a little and have a few student-centered activities while also holding on to some control and consistency? Absolutely. My student-centered classroom has been 15 years in the making. Take small steps to increase autonomy every year or even every quarter until you feel comfortable with handing over more and more. It takes a lot of modeling, trust and respect. But, with mindfulness and patience it settles into a routine that does not feel contrived nor constructed. Students set the tone, continuity and community feel while the pace flows based on deadline, understanding and mastery. This is how a student-centered classroom is created: flexibility, student control, teacher comfortability and guidance and most importantly easing into it slowly making sure that each phase is complete and cohesive before introducing more independence.

What Makes My Classroom Truly Student-Centered?

Trial and error, being willing to just epically fail in front of my students. I do this at least once a week. I try some new crazy idea I have in my head, I of course mentally see it playing out a certain way: every student is engaged, I am an audience member, they take my minimal instructions and run with it, finding it challenging but accomplishing it with ease. Well, this rarely, if ever happens. What happens often, I am too vague, students need a little prompting and guidance to get the activity started, they hit a road block ask lots of questions, I give them clarifications but little specifics and then after some frustration they eventually master it through a lot of problem-solving and collaboration. Which is a good thing. But it can be nerve-wrecking for teachers because this means the control is gone and a little chaos may ensue but we must remain steadfast and let them fail. We must set them up to fail. We learn more from our mistakes then we do our quick successes. A student-centered classroom is designed for this purpose. To take-risks, fail fast and tinker and design independently for students to truly problem-solve on their own.

I have flexible seating, a well-used makerspace and students have endless options on how to demonstrate their knowledge: podcasts, blogs, models, music, Ed camps, conferences, summits, writing, skits, the list is endless, but that is not what makes my classroom student-centered. My students have independence and freedom but that is the frame work of the student-led design. What truly makes my classroom student-centered is my openness to chaos and fluidity. Every day is different, whether there is a detailed agenda or not. Every day is not a free for all where they get to pick and choose their assignments. There is a pace, deadlines and expectations. The student-centered aspect is integrated fully with the way I ask questions, provide them with instructions and allow them full use of all the strategies and tools I provide them at the beginning of and throughout the year.

I rarely provide handouts, for the frog dissection and organic compounds stations lab for example, they were given specific instructions and guidelines. But, I transform most activities and assignments into personal journey’s by simply removing the “cookie-cutter” aspect. Like the Texas Eco-regions conference by simply being a little cryptic lead to curiosity and this put the design into their hands not under the influence of a document. I ask broad What if… questions and then follow them up by then what…questions. A great resource for these types of questioning strategies is Advancing Differentiation, Thinking and Learning for the 21st Century by Richard M. Cash. I also, let them tell me how they want to learn the information. If they can justify their learning I am open to anything and anything and everything is generally what I get. You must be open to the fact that students will seem off task, create things you never thought of, and often take your instructions and completely ignore them but if they get there, if the “not yet” moment turns into a “now I got it” experience it is all worth it.

Are Student-Centered Classrooms Realistic or Pure Fantasy?

This week I taught two classes at our Katy Science Conference with my friend Tricia Reyes. She teaches ELA and is very much a student-centered classroom teacher as well. In fact, we collaborate a lot and share ideas to keep our classrooms running smoothly but also in the hands of our students. One course was about differentiation and questioning strategies that lead to student independence and the other was about student-centered classrooms and using makerspaces, Ed camps, conferences and other student-driven activities to foster freedom and flexibility in the classroom. In other words, both were about letting go, stepping back and feeling safe to let students be the owners and leaders of their own learning. However, to many of the teachers attending my courses, this was the fear factor. This is what is holding them back from taking the leap.

After both classes, several people came up to me and said basically the same thing "Easier said than done, how can you just let go like that, aren't you afraid they will be off task and not focused on the assignment?" Truth, yes and no. Yes, I know some students will get off task and waste time but they will only do that a few times before they realize they are only hurting themselves. The pace is still moving forward and while most students are diligent and determined to figure things out every day a few get stuck in a holding pattern. But as a community they help each other get back on track. They collaborate a lot and help maintain a calm working environment. No, because after modeling this independence and responsibility for several weeks, students appreciate the freedom and want to not only get their assignments completed but also the pressure to work and collaborate gets fierce after they settle in to the routine. After a lot of modeling they self-monitor. 

Student-centered classrooms come in all shapes and sizes. They are flipped or blended. But, they always need to be flexible, independent, challenging, mindful and growth-oriented. Failure is an option. Movement is always forward. Organized chaos is inevitable. Teachers will be fearful of loss of control but students will step up and become leaders, self-monitors and eager participants in their learning. If respect, responsibility and rigor are in place a haven will be created and this port in a storm, academic sanctuary, learning refuge is what we all understand to be a student-centered classroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...