Monday, October 30, 2017

Getting the Giggles Contained: Embarrassing Topics in Biology

Today was the dreaded lesson on the Reproductive System. For some reason in our district there is no Health class, so thus no discussion about the Reproductive System. This puts the responsibility on the shoulders of 7th grade science teachers. Last week we discussed the Endocrine System and the Testes and Ovaries were front and center, so those terms were no surprise. Today we had to introduce the physical anatomy aspect of reproduction and this brought on a lot of giggles and seat stirring. It is an embarrassing topic for sure, but a necessary one. Before any conversation begun today, I made light of the situation by behaving like a teenager and acting embarrassed and shocked (over-exaggerated of course) "Oh my gosh, she said the word penis." giggles "Did she just say, vagina?" This broke the tension as they laughed.

To break the ice, even day one of class, I have always talked openly about almost everything. If it is science: biology, chemistry, any science related topic I will always tell them the truth. Today, my students asked me about the menstrual cycle, hysterectomies, sperm count, even child birth. If they are asking a serious question, I answer it. It surprised me today though, what they didn't know. We watched a Brain Pop video on Reproduction and that was by far the most uncomfortable part of the class. Once we had an open conversation, the giggles were contained and the dialogue was respectful and informative. I think the best thing we can do as teachers is to be open and honest. Even with the embarrassing stuff (at least for them.) I never get embarrassed about science stuff.

I tell my students, "biology is the basis of life and it so important to understand every aspect of it. Why our bodies do what they do. This makes the world around us make sense. This helps us understand our bodies and how to take care of them." When we can get them to see things as science they will not be so embarrassed about things. They will become more curious, in fact. The boys were the ones asking the questions about the menstrual cycle, not to be silly, but because they know what it is and wanted to understand the process. Today for me was a good day. The conversations were instructional, communicative and instructive. As teachers all we have to do is not be embarrassed ourselves, once students sense we find it awkward, they will retreat and get uncomfortable.

I am happy it is over but this year it went well. Not too many giggles. Eyes upfront not down at their papers. Engaged not mortified. I set up my class on day one as a safe haven for learning. A place where questions are welcomed, not matter how uncomfortable. Forthcoming and honesty. If students trust you they will confide in you and believe in you. This is when true learning takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...