Sunday, February 4, 2018

My Sharp Edges and My Smooth Ones: Snip It #21



Iron out the rough edges. Smooth out our rough spots. Sand off the sharp edge. These are well used idioms. I heard all three of them, in television shows or movies, in the last week alone. This got me reflecting, as I tend to do. I often, think and analyze, more than I speak and write. I guess, this is one of my sharp edges -retreat. I have a place I go, quite frequently. An internal oasis. However, sometimes I get lost in the desert surrounding it, causing me to disappear for awhile.

January was a very hectic month for me. The weight of responsibility, forced my hand. I pondered and examined, leaned in to my frustration and exhaustion, and used it to push me through. This process, however, put my social side on hold. I pulled away from my blog and Twitter chats. It took all my energy to create and moderate, my own two chats. But, alas, January has ended and February has slithered in, almost unceremoniously.

The only reason, I know it is February, is that the 1st, is my husbands birthday. This marked the transition from heavy fog, to misty miasma. My view is no longer obscured. The days now have distinction, a clear delineation. This is another of my sharp edges. Over-doing it. A schedule both fulfilling and cumbersome. I know that this will never be smooth or sanded down. It one of many sharp edges, if pointed in the right direction, will never be a source of serration. But, a sabre, cutting through the vines and cane, that block my path.

I like my sharp edges. They balance my smooth edges. They take my limiting qualities: my shyness, doubt and isolation, and push me to interact. I have many sharp edges, many of which need shaped and honed, but none of which I believe, need to be smoothed or shaven. Each prickly, pointed surface of my personality, makes me who I am. I truly believe, that it is not sculpting, to a marble quality, but acknowledgement of the curves, notches and indentations that matters most. Sharp edges are necessary. Smooth ones have their purposes too. But, together they are the handle and the blade of our emotions and actions. Who we are is determined, by how we wield them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...