Saturday, February 10, 2018

Seeing Past the Score: Looking Out for the Underdog: Snip It #27

There have been many underdog stories, over the last year or so: The Houston Astro's winning the World Series and the Eagles taking the Super Bowl victory, from the Patriot's. It happens all the time, this empowerment that pushes, a team or individual forward, sparking confidence, motivation and drive. The determination that overcomes even the strongest of talents. I see it every day in my classroom. When the soft spoken, understated students, become the leaders of the team, of their own volition. The moment something sinks in and solidifies, and students, who are struggling, get an A on a test. It is a beautiful thing to witness, as an educator and as a fan.

Underdog usually has a connotation, of a weakness or inferiority, in some way. To me though, an underdog has the chops, skills, and mindset, to conquer anyone or anything in their path. All they are lacking is opportunity. Somewhere along the way, they missed a chance, they were overlooked or forgotten. It only takes one person, one educator, to reach out and provide a moment, a juncture, a fair shake. I know for me, this took place when I was in high-school. A teacher, slowed his roll and took the time to mentor me. He recognized something in me, I hadn't. He helped me carve out my niche, my boulevard. This thoroughfare, was not a two lane highway, but an expressway, with options and variables, and above all chances. Prospects that led to contingencies, that ultimately, forged an outlook. This perspective, made me who I am today. At times an underdog or dark horse. But always a contender.

I actively seek out fellow travelers. Those students who tend to roam and stroll, rather than dig in deep and focus. They remind me of who I was, before that fateful day, when Mr. Marx, said the words, that steered me to where I am today. "You will be a great teacher one day. I can see it in your eyes. You have the spark of a fantastic teacher, just waiting to be lit."

I have a student in Quiz Bowl. He reminds me a lot of my son, who is a nomad of sorts. He meanders, gallivants and rambles. He has the mindset of a warrior and the follow-through of a beach comer. He just needs an impetus, to get him motivated. Both of these fine gentlemen, are often underestimated and left out. Excluded because, they think differently. They appear laid back and indifferent, but if you take the time, to really get to know them, you discover, that actually they are just lone wolves, waiting to be a part of a pack. I have taken my student, under my wing and without any fuss, or obvious action, nudged him, into the group. I pulled him onto the top 16, to try and build his confidence. To provide him with an iron, he can place in the fire. He has to work hard and earn his spot, but now he has a fighting chance.

Overconfidence and skill do not mean everything. Not to me. Some of my best players, skip practice, and prioritize quiz bowl near the bottom, they become complacent, because they know they are on the nationals team. While my underdog, my wanderer, comes to every practice and gives it his all. Of course I want to do great at nationals. It is expensive for every player to attend and we have to make sure we do great. But, the heart of a team often comes from those who may not be the fastest or smartest, but those who are consistent and reliable. Those who are team players, not break out stars. Those who are not quarterbacks, but support players, who 100% of the time, bring the team to victory. Win or lose, they are successful.

I have talked to many coaches and they tell me, "always build your strongest team with your strongest players." I understand this concept. I believe, in this ideal. However, you can't win a football game, with all quarterbacks. You have to find a balance. I was never the smartest or fastest. I am still, not the best, at anything. I am a progression, of strength and fortitude. I put my best foot forward everyday, and even then, I am never nominated for this or appreciated for that. I remain a quiet dissenter, in the ranks. An instigator of change. Words and accolades are temporary- it is action, endurance and determination that leave a lasting mark.

I recognize in myself, a personality of both separateness and collaboration. I am both extrovert and introvert. I long to be part of the 'cool kids' but, yet lack the confidence. I revel in my independence, yet miss camaraderie. Like every underdog out there, I am often just a little too late to the table, and for that, I miss the appetizer. Even though the main course was a bit cold, I get to enjoy it. I get to put my two cents in, but ultimately, I am a blip, on a radar, somewhere. It is up to me to strengthen my signal. Just as it will be his, to demonstrate his tenacity to our team.

If we entice our nomads, rovers and wayfarers to engage and participate, maybe we can be their, Mr. Marx. Maybe, we can be the beacon of light, they are searching for, in the fog. Not just a glimmer or passing beam, but a consistent stream, of luminosity. This is what all underdogs need: a durable, steadfast turning point. An ally, patron and cheer squad. Finally, not only a chance, but a boost. A nudge. A connection. Every day, be that connection for every student: quiet or loud, gifted or struggling, well-behaved and misbehaved. Every one of them is both an underdog and a quarterback. All we have to do, is set up the field and cheer them on. Each will find their place and with our words of encouragement, will become MVP players.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...