Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Are Zoom Breakout Rooms Reliable in the Classroom? (303)

Last spring, when we were thrust into asynchronous learning I was doubtful. I was scrambling to keep lessons coming at a quick pace- and using Zoom was not really a reliable option. Just finishing the year was my only focus. But now that I am in the new school year, submersed in a new virtual world and physical world- a synergy of digital and digits- Zoom provides a lot of inspiration. I am a convert.

I have heard the stories. We all have. Inappropriate behavior- background distractions. If we don't have out students all on screen, all the time, with us staring at them, all the time- something is going to go wrong. Words will be exchanged, cursing, behavior unbecoming- in other words chaos will ensue. But it all comes down to- as everything in the classroom does- it all comes down to behavior management. How you set up for the year, the routines, consequences, and the goals and mindset. 

I have great classroom management. Of all the things I need to work on as an educator- and there are plenty believe me- ironically technology- behavior management is not one of them. Mindfulness lessons and discussions, Character Strong lessons, community building, modeling respect and listening skills. These all help me day one, to set a tone- a flexible, somewhat liberal tone, encased in a shell of responsibility and respect. 

So venturing off into the world of Zoom breakout rooms was never a fear for me, because of what I worried my students would do. It was a hesitation that stemmed from me not feeling I could set up rooms fast enough, move from room to room with ease, and well just plain old digital phobia. But, I set my main goal this year to overcome my digital phobia and dive deeper into purposeful technology. Zoom breakout rooms, being the first on a list of many.

So I found ways to set Zoom breakout rooms up while my virtual students are completing a sci-starter. You need a seamless transition. Also, by discussing very specific directions and guidelines- very clear assignments, I set the pace and tone. But assigning facilitators (responsible and kind classmates) and making sure that everyone is given a role, a responsibility and a timeframe in which to achieve their assignment- is key. It is all about the pacing. It is all about the questions asked- the format (for me generally Google Docs) and collaboration.

I have been using them a lot these days. The same groups for a few weeks, to make sure they feel comfortable with one another. But next quarter I will change the groups. I feel it is important to give them time to build a rapport. Things go so much more smoothly now, as they have the trust and respect engrained in their conversations. I bounce between them on mute- just listening. It is wonderful to feel the trust and let them experience the freedom.

Breakout rooms need to be monitored frequently. They need to be headed by a student facilitator. They need to be purposeful and meaningful- used for conversation, completion and collaboration. I am so relieved that I have a forum, in which my small groups, on-line can experience the same collaborative groups we do in my classroom. But, it all started with behavior management. With modeling mindfulness and talking about respect and kindness. 

Above all else, it started by- creating a community where voices overlap and laughter gets loud- but ultimately in the end- assignments get completed and learning happens. Learning is personal. But it is a giant web of interconnected sources and references, opinions and breakthroughs, conversations and camaraderie- and this can all happen on Zoom, as much as it happens in a brick and mortar classroom- we just have to believe and trust. 

The modeling is the clay, the sculpture comes from accidental pressure and a deliberate, slick gouge and pinch. The statue- both a beautiful reminder of the struggle and inspiration of that initial blob. That first feel of the clay. That clay, it is us- the statue- that is all them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...