Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Trepidation leads to a Teachable Moment (282)

 Today we finally conducted our skin sensitivity activity. It was notecards with several tooth picks on each side at different measurement intervals. It was designed to determine the level of sensitivity on the finger tips, back of the neck, and back of the hand. We are discussing the thickness of skin- thickest bottom of feet and the palms of the hand and the thinnest is our eyelids.

I had trepidations because it was our first interactive lab, where students were working together. So I kept putting it off. But, I jumped in and trusted. A few boys thought about getting silly and poking/stabbing their partners with the tooth picks. Before hand we discussed protocol and etiquette.

I walked around a lot, checking in at tables. Having conversations. My 3 in person classes did great. No problems. It allowed me to get to know them better as well. I am relieved I allowed them to do the lab- it showed I trusted them and respect them. AND, it set the tone for future, frequent activities this semester and beyond.



No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...