Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Why Educational Jargon is Overwhelming for My Dyslexic Brain (330)

I read a lot. Tweets, blogs, articles books. But, I must be honest, I do not always finish them. I love a great blog- full of emotion and relevance. I appreciate great strategies, techniques, anecdotes. But, after being a teacher for just over twenty years, I am exhausted. I find the high level of verbal battles, word chess and mere influx of new terms and educational vernacular simply overwhelming. 

It seems lately that nothing is defined or explained in simple terms. Everything is wrapped around big words and specific instructions. It has almost become a formula. A recipe with little room for personal touches- because the chef is a graduate from the most prestigious cooking school in the world. Everything is based on perceived talent. Not acquired skill.

This is not a post I am writing to criticize anyone. There are educators who need to write in a certain tone to be published. There are others who have been chefs in their restaurants for decades and their recipes are full proof- they work- but taste buds are a changn'. Ingredients are becoming more difficult to acquire. Pallets change. Minds change. Circumstances change. Little monumentals are no longer about grades and test scores- but growth and connection.

I need something to inspire me. Not a twenty-five page manual of resources. I need a short-story with honest dialogue. Not a sage on the stage perfection (there are many who fit this bill and I applaud every one of them). But I need to see the world of education from a flawed, at times struggling educator who works hard to maintain balance. One who makes mistakes and talks about why their perspective changed. Yes, there are books and articles a plenty that fill this niche. 

But, then why am I still not connecting with most of them. The psychology behind learning is a great tool. But it is a tool. The experience and setbacks are more important. Diagnosing learning disabilities, like Dyslexia are crucial to understanding how best to teach them. But, not all Dyslexics are the same. 

We are each an embodiment of our experiences and as such every student learns differently. At times this aspect is forgotten- main stream thinking takes hold because it feels overwhelming and impossible to make lessons that speak to ever mind sitting in a classroom.

So again here come the big words, the expert testimony. AND, in classrooms new educators are reading endless articles and are feeling lost in the jargon. I am a veteran teacher and I feel lost in the jargon. Especially now that there is a new layer of it. The virtual bubble that has exploded on the scene. This is what you must do to be successful, this is how you have to teach on-line to be successful. But isn't it the same?

I just feel so bogged down with what others expect. What the newest trends are putting out there making our own paths even more distorted. I understand we need guide books and guidance. I just wish it was more used friendly. Sometimes we do not need to read a 64 page manual on how to change our wiper blades- sometimes we need a you tube video showing us how to do it. Sometimes we need a graphic. Sometimes we need to figure it out on our own.

I understand I am probably a single voice in the din of educational speak and teaching knowledge. I know that all the complex, hypothetical words of wisdom mean a lot to a lot of teachers. I just feel such a weight on myself, a load of texts these days- and sometimes I just feel like there is just too much details- too much coming out into the universe in our profession- not written by classroom teachers, not real, honest to good helpful information. Or if there is it is wrapped up in a box of too many ingredients.

I like a great meal like anyone- but I also appreciate the basket of fries and a milkshake. Simple, easy and without any nonsense. Just a familiar, comfort food vibe. I get overloaded easy and when I see a beautiful plate of complicated food- I more often than not- choose the one that reminds me of me. The one that is tasty and satisfying. The one that makes me feel good. 

This is my feeling these days- I need a simple burger and fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...