Thursday, August 4, 2016

Me on social media?

I am not a big fan of social media. PLEASE do not send out photos of your nudity, or even worse your food. I am on Facebook to keep in touch with family and old friends, But it seems I am scrolling through more dog and cat videos or "I found a Pokemon" entries then anything really awesome. But, alas. I read it everyday looking for the hidden gem, I do like to see that good things that are happening to good people.In this scary, uncertain world positivity is great.

Now Twitter, well it frightened me. Mainly for the fear of rejection. I, iteacher, have a goal to be more involved in social media but not in pop culture or....politics,,,but as a teacher. Education is guiding our future generations. Not putting them in a box and throwing new data and rules and ideas at them, But, simply guiding them to their own path of learning. Every student whether in Special Education or Gifted and Talented education learn their own way. We as facilitators need to present them choices and creative ways to process information and learn.

My goal as an educator has always been to make them figure it out, To let them think for themselves. However, many students do not know how to do this. They have most often encountered teacher centered classrooms with handouts and standard multiple-choice tests. We have to teach them how to think for themselves. This really stresses them out. But we have to do it. It is our responsibility to teach them this skill so we do not end up with a future of blind followers who cooperate and remain silent. We need a generation of collaborators who will step out of line and shout "I have an idea" listen to me please. That will be the only way to keep growing and innovating and keep us at the top of the field of education.

So, I have set upon my first goal full steam ahead, and have listened and reflected, and collaborated in awesome conversations. I am actually no longer afraid of Twitter. It is not how many followers you have but how many you connect with and inspire. So I am going to continue to listen and learn from the many fantastic, outgoing, knowledgeable education and innovators out there so stay on the path of improvement and growth.

#collidingwithscience  @ChouinardJahant

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...