Friday, August 26, 2016

Engaging a Growth Mindset Week One of School

Usually the first week of school comes and goes like a blur, barely recognizing student faces or names, just "get them in, feed them, get them home" as I have heard many an educator say. But this year I set five goals, in my dedication to a growth mindset. These goals are not to merely enhance my passion for teaching but to build up resilience, focus on the big picture, and elevate my students from participants to innovators. At the end of my first week these goals took shape and allowed me to discover a new path I had not seen before, one of true adventure rather than of tour guide.

My first goal is to design a flexible classroom where students could choose seats. I have always been reluctant to let students take the reigns in this department because I feared misbehavior. I was devious with implementation of this however. I didn't tell them they could sit where they wanted, they actually looked around for a seating chart, could not find one, then nervously sat down, all the while looking around at their peers for reassurance. I stood at the door merely observing. When I told them they could sit where they were or move near their friends, they looked at each other and then at me, I had to encourage them relocate. This is not a normal occurrence the first day of school. All week they have been respectful and engaged. As we set up the procedures or "community goals," paying attention and not getting distracted by friends was at the top of the list. So far, goal one is working great.

My second goal, create a safe, open-minded classroom where students feel free to share ideas, listen to various opinions and welcome challenges. This week, students participated in a Socratic seminar about lab safety and performed skits on lab safety scenarios. Students had a blast sharing their theatrical antics. They also designed and conducted two lab experiments. The labs write-ups were student generated. They wrote a hypothesis, procedures, and designed the write-up individually. Even wrote a reflection of the new design process. Students asked for a choice in demonstration of knowledge and I made sure they had a choice as to how to implement and reflect on their findings. Students collaborated a lot this week with their table partners and assigned groups and their conversations were positive and respectful.

My third goal, is to find new ways to incorporate my makerspace. Students had the opportunity to use the class makerspace once this week as a brain break. I had students create an artifact that represented them. They had ten minutes. It was quick but effective. They reengaged in the lesson after and got to make a great item to take home and share their first week of school. I told them to keep them and we would make another one at the end of the year and see how they have changed.

My fourth goal is to never stop engaging with other educators. To read many great books and to join insightful and inspiring educator chats on Voxer & Twitter, and in person. I am joining at least one Twitter chat per night and daily I am walking into other classrooms and saying hello to my colleagues and observing awesome lessons taking place throughout my school. It is often the little things you see or hear every day that have the most influence on your teaching. I am constantly updating and altering the way I do things because I am constantly uncovering amazing hidden gems from other fabulous educators.

This week I began using Seesaw, used sketch notes, and began reading three amazing books "Teach Like a Pirate," by Dave Burgess, "Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student," by John Spencer & A J Juliani, and "Kids Deserve it! Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Conventional Thinking" by Todd Nesloney.  I am eagerly awaiting my copy of "The Writing on the Classroom Wall" by Steve Wyborney. Such amazing books.

My fifth goal is to take better care of myself. In years past I have pushed myself so hard that I have gotten sick a lot. I have increased my meditation and even make sure I turn out my lights and lock my door during my planning period and hunker down behind my desk and meditate. It refreshes me and I return to the day positive and rejuvenated. I also make sure to not bring things home with me. I get my grading down during advisory/study hall. I have all my clubs until 4:00 then come home meditate, eat dinner with my family and then spend some time on Twitter with my PLN, These educators never cease to inspire and motivate me to keep my growth mindset in full swing.

My first week was exhausting only because I took risks and really stepped outside of my comfort zone. However, now that I have these in place, the rest of the year should be fulfilling and I will be able to focus on relationships with my students rather than worrying about engagement. Allowing students to take the wheel has eased my burden and created a community where problem-solving, inquiry, and discovery has taken hold. I am entrenched in the growth mindset and I will continue to lead my students to do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...