Saturday, August 6, 2016

Dyslexia: A Disorder that Makes Me A Stronger Teacher





Dyslexia is a disorder that did not become identified until after I had made it into high school. Throughout elementary and middle school (for me one Catholic school) I was always thought of as the slow child. The child that didn't apply herself. The student who was unorganized, bad at math, a slow reader, and well...couldn't keep up academically with her peers. I was often the brunt of a joke, 'If Melissa can get it then so can you." Yes, I hated school growing up.

I never understood why the words translated backwards to me, or why the calculations I performed in math were always wrong (usually reversed). It is amazing me, to this day, why no one, not an administrator, teacher, counselor, no one took the time to help me. Back then though it was a time of "kids will be kids" and "tough love."

I overcame my struggles with reading- I am a ferocious reader. I do however, really struggle with anything with numbers. Students ask me all the time, "Can you help me with my Algebra?" I smile and say "I really can't. But any other subject I am on it." Students appreciate the honesty. I tell them week one that I have Dyslexia and it is inevitable that there will be students in my class that will have it too.

I decided very early on that I needed to help students who struggle with anything academically. They need to be heard and encouraged. They do not need to be labelled with assumptions. Assumptions should never be made on any student. Students need to be acknowledged and supported. They need to understand that it is not their fault. They will have challenges but they can overcome them. I did. They just need to believe in themselves and know that you believe in them too.

I help students with Dyslexia by giving them a copy of notes and making podcasts they can listen too. For me I need a visual but also an auditory guide. I encourage any questions. My motto "There are not stupid questions, ask away." Students with Dyslexia can understand every word a teacher says we just may need some extra time to process it and make the bigger connection. I use brain breaks for that purpose, for students to make the connection, I say"discuss with a table partner."

Dyslexia is not merely reading, but numbers and processes as well. Give every student a chance to succeed whether it takes a class period or a week. Provide tactile opportunities, writing opportunities, and verbal opportunities for students to shine. Students need to feel successful and the more time we take to find their strengths and weaknesses the more engaged they will be. The best teachers never embarrass or get impatient, they slow down or speed up depending on the student and they always look around to see the class dynamics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...