Tuesday, May 12, 2020

I'm not trying to 'cause a big s-s-sensation- I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (133)

Every generation has its circumstance, that changed society. Throughout history such encounters have shifted societal thinking and action. They have altered the path of humanity. 

We are well aware of the effects of the World Wars, Vietnam, assassinations, tragedies and catastrophic events throughout history. These resonating events are milestones of our actions and reactions.

Every now and then though a generation seems to bypass these global episodes. I am a Generation X'er, I hate the name but, there it is, that is my generation, I entering it, when I was born in the summer of 1969. 

I missed the 'flower power' era and previous conflicts. I grew up in the 1980's- a relatively calm time. One in which I found my footing and set course, into the larger world, beyond my home.

What I remember most is the before and after’s. Not the before and after’s of a cataclysmic circumstance, but the slow change of not having something- to suddenly having something. To have access to a world beyond my local community. 

To have devices that connect one to the global scene. I remember we had to use the Dewey Decimal System to find a book or magazine we wanted to read from the library. Now we can Google it.

I remember a time when we had 13 channels of basic television. Mostly local channels and the only time as a child, we could watch cartoons, was Saturday morning. Now we can watch on You Tube or yes, Google it.

I remember before the time of BetaMax and VCR's. If you missed a show, well too bad. That is what the book of programming was for. The wonderful anthology, of the week’s entertainment contained, in a pretty package. The TV Guide.

I remember having to sit right in front of the television- I my parent’s personal remote control. 

I vaguely remember 8-track tapes. But cassette tapes we my generations main source of music until CD's became the norm. A world of large packaging. Tower Records. Boomboxes. I had a Walkman. Now I have an iPhone, with all my music in one place.

Things shifted from owning in physical form to digital. Not only did cable television change my life, MTV allowed me to see the stories behind my favorite music. Everything was more vivid and the choice- wow, choice of music, movies, television became one of the hugest changes in my adolescence.

Within my lifetime phones changed from pay phones and rotary phones with giant cords, to wireless, short battery life contraptions. Then the large clunky, no cell reception, car phones got smaller and became basic cell phones. 

The first cell phones were used for talking and snapped shut, like tri-corders in Star Trek. They were cool. Now cell phones are used for texting and everything else with talking, being the least used function.

Our phones are our camera’s, personal computers, screening devices. Everything all bundled into a pocket-sized mainframe. We are always connected. Peoples whole lives are in their phones. 

It’s insane to think that 30 years ago, we had to leave messages with each-other’s parents so we could find out where the party was, or where everyone was meeting up for the night. 

There were more times than I care to remember, that I missed a party because I couldn’t contact my friends, or we got lost trying to find someone’s house.

For us Gen X’ers- our shift was global and indelible. I can’t believe there are generations born since, who don’t know what a pay phone is. Who don’t truly appreciate the fact, that they can contact someone, from just about anywhere on the planet. 

We started with minimal technology and ended our adolescence with computers, albeit basic ones. Those born post 90s, will never know what it was like to not shop on-line, or have access to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

I remember life before the technological revolution. When snail mail was all the rage. Now that I think about it- I remember before there were ATM’s, Target’s and HBO. 

I remember the first time I heard the HBO sound- you know the one- the static and the crescendo. The camera angle as the animation moved up the street into the theater. Leading us into Home Box Office heaven. Television used to be the main source of news and connection- now it is our portable device.

This current event, this pandemic is so monumental, its one for the ages. An event that all generations will share, as a turning point in society. It wasn’t slow and impactful, like my generation’s technological shifts. 

It gathered momentum and conquered its battle field, before we even looked up from our devices. 

The modernization that occurred within my generation and the next, created this technology and without it, we wouldn’t have access to the scope, of newsworthy material.

My generation and the millennial generation- shaped so much globally. I see the before and after of the last few decades. Most breakthroughs progressing our lives, making them better. 

But, this virus I am afraid, is going to shape and alter the future for generations to come. In both negative and positive ways.

Education, social gatherings, awareness of our surroundings, the way the news is reported and broadcast. Transportation, food and entertainment. It is endless.

It definitely has made a huge impact on me- not just from its danger, but from its subtle reminder to be appreciative and not take things for granted. 

Once upon a time, quite a few years ago, I turned thirteen and I got my own television in my bedroom. Not a flat screen or LED. But a basic tube variety. I got my own pink, cordless phone too and I thought I was living the high life. Little did I know both would be obsolete in my lifetime. I could never have guessed we would carry around our television, telephone and entertainment in our pockets. 

We had a few health scares during my adolescence, AIDS being the most wide spread and impactful. I had heard of pandemics, yet none had occurred even close to my lifetime. It had never crossed my mind, that it ever could.

Technology changed the world, Covid-19 is changing the world. 

I have seen 9/11, I remember the first school shooting. There have been awful things that have happened since I was an adolescent. But, also good things and I am happy I got so many before and after’s- they have shaped the way I think. They kept me open-minded and eager to find out what’s next. 

I think that is why my generation is so unrattled by huge changes- because we have been adapting since we were born. Everyone has. But, my generation was at the cusp of before technology and after. 

Things are nothing like they were when we were growing up, and we are alright with that. We remember and appreciate the journey. More importantly, we understand change is coming and know not to get too attached to our devices, cause soon, things will be completely different.

"I'm not trying to 'cause a big s-s-sensation- I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation." -The Who

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...