Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day 2020

For the last five years, I have been out of town, in either Dallas or Chicago at the nationals (NAQT) tournament for quiz bowl. The day consisted of finals and then waiting at O'Hare for a bit before flying home. A few years I had family with me, a few I didn't. A great trip but not really a day of Mother's and family.

This year we didn't get to go to nationals, it was cancelled. It was a blow for us as we qualified and worked very hard all year to get to go. But, I must say this is bittersweet- I hate not going with my team, I miss coaching my students, but I really have enjoyed being home with my family.

Today we played Deadbolt Society- a mystery solve game. If you haven't tried it you should. Each month is a different mystery to solve. I went back and bought back issue boxes- today we played Terminal and the Seaside Strangler. All six of us solving clues and puzzles. It was marvelous.

Restaurants are still not open so we ordered some Red Robin and ate together watching a movie. Family time is hard to come by, even with all of us together. Generally one or more of us are at work or doing homework etc. So today was nice to have all of us free and focused on being together.

I think quarantine has made Mother's Day more personal. Being home rather than out at a noisy restaurant. Not traveling, an opportunity for all of us to be together. All we were missing was my daughter and her family. But we spoke on the phone and Voxer. Having the boys and I together was a good day.

Solving the game, watching a movie, good food- a very good day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...