Sunday, September 20, 2020

13 is the Magic Number (264)

 In the Beginning A Vision


It doesn't happen in a day, a month, even six months. It takes practice, dedication, commitment. Some students join, rarely come to practice, and thus never improve. Many students, however, leap in to the deep end, read nightly and continue to develop their skill. When you get a team, of these like-minded individuals, you eventually, formulate a fine oiled machine, a cooperation of minds and talent.

I have only been the mentor/coach for the Beckendorff Quiz Bowl team for two years. I guess I should say, we have only had a team for the same amount of time. I started the NAQT (National Academic Quiz Bowl Tournament) team after my National Science Bowl team had competed for two years. I wanted to expand the content, NSB being only science and math, whereas NAQT is all subject areas. I am a science teacher at heart, but having taught all subjects other than math, I really wanted my students to grow academically, in all of their subjects.

At first I was reluctant. NSB is one day, one competition. NAQT is once a month and a lot more expensive and time-consuming. But, I saw the deep end, gleaming in the sunlight. It beckoned me, waves lapping in the cool summer breeze, it called to me. I dove head first, two years ago. At times I have barely kept my head above water, others I was swimming laps confidently. Floating or paddling heavy, either way, it has been the most rewarding extra-curricular mentor ship I have ever done.

The Season Begins

To qualify for nationals in NAQT, you must come in top 8 at one of the state level tournaments. For NSB the competition just requires you registering. The winner of the local NSB tournament however goes to nationals. Just the winner. We came in 2nd place. It was awesome.

For NAQT, it may sound just as easy, to qualify, but it isn't. There are 32 teams, competing each tournament in each division and where some are easy to defeat, others are impossible. We have played the same schools for two years now. Some public, some private, some home-school.

Each team, with a different skill set and mind set. The more time you have as a team to practice, the better you will be. Some teams have quiz bowl classes built into their curriculum, to practice and refine their skill. Some memorize previous packets. When questions reappear they have an advantage. My team has after-school practices only, and these often conflict with my students many other extra-curricular activities. So sometimes we struggle to actually get the whole team together as much as we need to. I also teach my students content, not memorization. So there are some teams we just can't beat.

This year we had 32 students in 7th and 8th grade and 12 in 6th grade. 6th grade teams play in the elementary division and our 7th and 8th graders play in the middle school division. There are also highly competitive high school teams, so middle school is an excellent way to get them prepared for the next level of NAQT. As of now, in all of Katy, there are only two junior high schools that participate. I wish more would, but not getting a stipend and the time needed to run a team, weekends and after-school, puts many teachers off. But, let me tell you, every state offers a local division and it is well worth it, even being a volunteer not a paid position. It is not about money, it is about watching these students grow and compete. It is very exciting and fulfilling.

Getting to Nationals

This year we competed in seven tournaments, before nationals, one which we hosted at out school. We qualified three teams for nationals, but not until one of our last tournaments. It usually takes us a few to get in the swing of things. This year we had 90% of the same students as the previous year. That year we went to nationals for the first time, but we didn't make playoffs. We had fun and learned a lot. But, in all honesty, we were not ready. I was still learning as well. There is a lot a mentor/coach needs to do to get her team prepared.

The national tournament last year was in Dallas, so we didn't have to go to far. This year, we went to Chicago. It was an expensive trip. We took three teams this year, as opposed to two last year. Two teams did pretty well, 4-4 and 3-5 stats. They were coached by parents at the tournament. They had fun and learned a lot, but like the year before, having missed many of the end of year practices, just weren't prepared as well as they could have been.

Our A team, the team I coached, came to every practice. They were a fine oiled machine. This team made playoffs and ended up 13th place out of 191 teams from about 30 states. Our final stats were 9-3. One loss came after a very heated protest by the losing team, which we lost. But, shouldn't have. It was a very odd protest, and other judges said they would have decided in our favor. The other loss in regular play was against a single player. He was amazing and literally slaughtered us 675-175. Teams are four students with one alternate. He won the whole tournament as an individual player.

Our first nationals we took 51st, 155 and 172 place, out of 192 teams. This year, we took 13th, 55nd, 92nd out of 191 teams. So in and of itself, this is incredible growth, in one year. I am so proud. Many of our best players are 8th graders and are leaving the team. Next year is going to be almost entirely a new team. This last week, I had a two day tryouts for our next years team. Last year 25 students tried out, this year 60 students did. Word is getting out. I took a different approach this year. Last year, I took everyone. This year, I gave them a written test and then played games on the buzzer and watched them compete. I eliminated almost half. I took 35 students.

Full Circle

I announced tryouts a month ago and provided a link to find study materials. Many utilized these documents, while others didn't study at all. I saw certain students shine. Other fall flat. It was pretty clear who studied and who didn't. It is not all about knowledge, it is almost more important that they have confidence to buzz in and answer. This was my main problem last year. Not students, not knowing the answer, but having students know it fast enough and being able to buzz in quick enough to get their team points. I made sure I looked for this confidence and knowledge together. I think my next years team is going to be amazing.

Our first practices are over the summer, we are getting a head start this year. 13th place out of 192, at our 2nd nationals, I am so proud. Next year, if our stats continue to improve as they have done in the past. We should be top ten at least. However, about 75% of our next years team, are new players. That is what summer is for. To get our new players up to speed and prepared for our first tournament in August. So it begins, one season ends, another begins. 13 is the magic number, 13 days over the summer and 13th place in the nation. And..... here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...