Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Laddering Up Again (260)

 I look up, the ladder seems endless. Metal and cold to the touch, I hesitate. It feels wobbly, even though someone is holding it steady. I look up again, keeping both of my feet firmly on the ground.


I sigh, a loud one.

They look at me.

It's only a ladder.

All you have to do is climb.

I step aside, let the next climber ascend. The rungs clank under their heavy shoes. They have no problem overcoming the inertia.

They have momentum that carries them to the top and over the ledge.

They peek over, smile down at me. I stay frozen. I look at them and then back at the rungs- who seem to be gawking and finger pointing.

Another one steps up, eager for the clamber higher.

Then another person, escalates with ease.

I take another deep breath, try to step over to the ladder, but resist.

Rails, spreaders, extension- glimmer.

My face does the opposite.

I choose to sit this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...