Sunday, September 27, 2020

A Sunday, A Day, A Sun (272)

 Texas generally is hot, I mean hot. Even in September. But a heavy storm passed its way through earlier this week and pushed out the humidity and heaviness of our beginning of Autumn weather. Its a nice respite from the sweats of September. I got to take a nice walk today. Enjoy the clouds. Feel the cool breeze.

The sunset last night was magnificent. Huge yellow glowing orb sitting on the horizon. It almost looked hand painted into the pink and red sky. It reminded me of how beautiful nature is if we stop and notice. We are generally rushing around and trying to get things done- but last night the sunset froze me in place for a bit.

This gave me time to just think. To breathe in the moment. 

This morning was much like that moment. Lighter somehow than most breaths lately.

I wrote 7 Reasons Why We are Educators this week. All on my other blog practicalrebellion.blogspot.com and then recorded a culminating podcast. It felt good to get it all out. All the frustration wrapped in optimism. I know these days most of us have a love/hate relationship with education.

We absolutely feel the passion and drive we have always felt. But it has been tarnished by the pandemic. We have lost our connection, our tether to the classroom dynamic. I know for me having most of my students virtual has drained me.

Daily I bounce back and forth between small face to face classes and large virtual ones. It is discombobulating to say the least. But, having small rectangles on a screen has made it very challenging to build the kind of relationships I am used to building.

1-minute check-in's, break out rooms- it helps but it still feels well...forced a bit. As students feel the disconnect too, it feels like another way to try to bring them into a classroom but without the classroom. I am not sure that made sense- but sometimes emotions don't.

So today I'm keeping it short- by simply saying hang in there.

See that bright yellow orb sitting on the horizon and absorb its energy. See the pinks and reds of magnificent skies and feel its story. Hear its message- tomorrow is another day, today has been a day full of possibilities and embrace them for they will follow you into tomorrow. They are yours to keep.

Happy Sunday everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...