Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Here are a Few of My Favorite Things....to do in a SCIENCE CLASSROOM

I am a science teacher through and through. I live and breathe science. I read social science and psychology books, I watch science shows, listen to science podcasts. Have I said I love science. It invigorates me. So this passion and interest flows from every pore in my classroom. I love to bridge different topics and discuss current findings in science. I think the more students hear about innovation and design, forward thinking and discover the more inspired they get to learn.

I have two classroom motto's

"Colliding with Science- Buckle up, we are going to do Collide with science today."

"I am not hear to teach you science, I am hear to teach you how to teach yourself science."


Science class should be messy, interactive, and energetic. These are the results of any collision. Yes, there are times when quiet ensues, or students work independently- but most of the time they are collaborating and analyzing text or building models, testing hypotheses. This is what science means to me. A mingling, overlapping and synergy of ideas and action.

Students love to build models and share ideas. Puppet shows are a great outlet for their creativity. I even built a puppet show stage. They love to do skits and write raps and songs to perform about science topics. They actually appreciate a moment or two to perform and learn from one another. They love to play with LEGO or Play-Doh and create colorful models.

This week they build giant organelles that we put into a giant cell. They build structures to withstand heat or cold- insulators. They are designing superhero's. My high schoolers are enhancing body systems (6) to accommodate their powers and writing origin stories. My middle schoolers are creating hero's or villains who use thermal energy in their powers. They are making 3D models of their hero/villain and my high schoolers are drawing portraits of theirs.

The last week, we did an experiment with an egg about osmosis. Students placed the egg in vinegar over night to dissolve the shell. Then water over night, corn syrup over night and then a different solution (soda, OJ or even milk) overnight. We discussed hypertonic vs hypotonic solutions and cellular membrane phospholipids- but talking didn't do it- they needed a week long experiment, investigation, to really understand the concept. Then we went outside and filmed the eggs as we dropped them on the ground. It was awesome.

Having students lead the discussion is a great way for them to take responsibility for their learning. Hold them accountable to demonstrate their understanding. Students usually sign up for a day to present something of interest about a topic. We do 1-2 a day and this allows them to learn from one another, not just me. Shy students start to open up after presenting and it really sparks conversation to life after they see one another go through the process.

Lastly, 1 minute-check in's are my go to. Every week - 1 minute with every student. A check in, a time to chat or review with them individually. This fosters communication, lessens stress and builds relationships. It heightens awareness and brings my classroom into a more mindful mindset. These are a few of my favorite things to do- they work for me, I tweak as necessary, extend when needed and together our collisions are frequent and our learning growth oriented.



No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...