Sunday, March 6, 2022

Just Breathe

Uniformity is dangerous. Thinking alike, falling into the pit of we must think this way or that. This is never going to happen. Thus a divide the size of the Grand Canyon is tugging at both sides- separating, deeper and deeper the fall.

Diversity is freedom. Uniqueness and creativity comes from the core of individuality. The sense that what we think and how we think can bring change. As we have seen this change might not be for the better- we may despise the rhetoric, we may want to throttle the trolls- but without freedom of expression- we squelch innovation.

The beauty of the Internet and social media- is we can choose not to look or listen. But, we should look and listen, if only to understand what we do not. We need to hear, not necessarily agree or appreciate- but understand, for we can not change if we do not understand the reason we need to do so. Yes, some things that need changing are blatant and obvious. But the darkness that lurks underneath and behind- the root cause under the soil- we miss and then we can not prevent.

Just breathe. Just listen and try very hard not to recoil and ignore. Being happy and brutally positive is not the trick either. But being willing to listen- to respond not react- that is key. I hear and see things that make me want to scream and hide every day. The world keeps spinning around and around and with the movement comes so much negativity it can be overwhelming.

But, I listen. I try to understand. I am trying desperately not to judge- but I am human. I can not be positive and perky many days and thus steer clear of social media- I tell my children and students daily- "It is no ones business that you are in a bad mood."- "Your politics and opinions are yours alone , we have individual frameworks that allows us to interpret and make sense in our own way." If you want to shout from the rooftops your anger and frustration, be ready for the other voices to respond.

I choose to keep most things to myself. It is simpler that way for I am an introvert. I do not like or seek out confrontation. This does not make me anything but cautious and yes- unique and individual to my own thinking and reactions. My responses are my own and I like to think a bit before putting them out into the world. I am not a toxically positive person- I get stupidly frustrated and vent like the rest of the population. I just do it in the comfort and isolation of my home- offline.

I choose to just breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...