Thursday, June 18, 2020

Zoom, Zooming Through a STEAM Summer Camp- Part 4 (170)

This weeks STEAM elementary summer camp, is a five day camp. Each day has a different 'theme' or field of science. So far we have had, Chemistry, Biology, Space and Physics. Tomorrow is our Fun toy day. A mish- mash of different make your own toy activities. The supplies for each day (4 lessons and 3 snacks) were packaged in paper grocery bags. Each lesson in an individual numbered Ziploc. So students have everything they need in front of them during each lesson.

Students were organized in home rooms via Zoom. Each morning as students were being added into the breakout sessions- teachers did warm-up, team building activities. I had my group run around with some scavenger hunts, share their Mars diorama's and share their favorite books (plot and setting included). I got to learn a lot about my students with these activities.






Then students stayed in their same breakout room throughout the day. Teachers left the breakout room and were added into the different rooms throughout the day, this minimized any confusion. For snack time and end of day time, all 72 students were put into one big meeting room, where we shared stories of scientists and their impact on the world: Katherine Johnson, Jane Goodall, Michio Kaku, Leonardo De Vinci and Asima Chatterje.

There were a few hiccups today. Not with Zoom, but with supplies breaking or missing. Students were getting distracted with balloons and water too. I think now that we are nearing the end of the week, students are get fidgety. Being on Zoom of course, makes it harder to see what they are up to. Plus some students are turning off their video, and we decided we would not make them use video. So we had to use different ways to connect.

If they were not using video, I said their name a lot. I asked them lots of questions individually, to keep them engaged in the lesson. When they heard me say their name, they un-muted and responded quickly. This helped me keep track of those I could not see.

My session was making boats (a kit) and then testing their buoyancy on the water. Some used their bathtub, some a sink, some a pan of water on the table. A few however asked to go outside and use their pool. I told them I needed to see a parent 'wave of acknowledgement' that they knew they were going outside, near the swimming pool.




Parents were happy to oblige and happy I made them ask. It was a fun activity but it went way too quickly and 50 minutes is a long time, when kids are active and then finish quickly. Especially at this age (9 and 10). So I had to come up with something quick. I remembered they had extra supplies (recycling at its best) left over on Monday-Wednesday.

I asked them to go get all those 'leftovers.' Then I asked them to create a boat/flotation device using those materials. It could be a canoe, kayak, pontoon, raft- anything. I had students adding motors, using magnets and other creative designs. They were so excited to design and create a unique floating device and I enjoyed watching them work. It was very cool.

Some of the materials in today's bags somehow were missing (dowels), so I told them to find a toothpick instead. The balloons for the balloon cars were long and skinny and almost impossible to blow up, so students got very frustrated. The teacher of that session came up with other ways to play with the car- a fan or string etc. If students were missing items or things were broken- we got creative and came up with alternatives.

Students felt our positivity and calmed down quickly. It seems like using Zoom would make it impossible to have a rapport with students, but I have found that I am a naturally animated teacher, I just stepped it up a notch and we have created some great connections. When something was missing or broken- I calmed them down and smiled.

I just smiled and said you know what- there are many different cool things you can use- let's think this through together. They liked the one-on-one time, and they found out they are very creative and innovative. With Zoom it is hard to see sometimes what they are doing, but we adjusted angles of camera's and moved on for close-ups. We adapted together.

I think the biggest thing I learned so far this week, was explaining things in very specific ways. Without having them there to get hands on with, words mean everything. You have to slow down and be very clear and succinct on directions. But, I am still learning. I teach 7th graders and they are much faster at grasping the idea- so I have had to work hard, at keeping a slower pace and really connecting with students verbally rather than visually.

I use my hands a lot naturally, so I just found ways to use them more and zoom in close with parts and demo's. It has been a learning experience indeed.

Tomorrow is the last day of summer camp. I look forward to learning all about toys and having some virtual fun play time with these amazing students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...