Saturday, July 18, 2020

Down the Rabbit Hole, Into the Rut (200)

I have been writing for 200 days. Daily posts. Some about education, some daily life. Most about some combination of the two. Some things that impact both like- mindfulness, mental health, and memories. Writing is important. It is a skip down the 'yellow brick road,' a magic carpet ride, a glimpse into a crystal ball and a fall down a rabbit hole. It opens my mind to new possibilities and enhances my clarity and mindset.

A journey of this sort also, on occasion leads me down the rabbit hole. I mean is that bad? Alice takes makes the trip and she ends up at a pretty cool tea party. Then a scary chess board. But then having a jazzy conversation with a phase changing cat on a mushroom. It was a revealing cascade of sorts. Its amazing what a good day dream under a tree can evoke. Imagination and creativity is everything.

It is one thing to have imagination. Another to have creativity. But doing something productive with it- that is the story. That is the characters coming to life, the design and implementation of new strategies into your brain. Seeing setbacks as opportunities- I mean Alice did. She drank the potion, she committed. The white rabbit was her yearning for something more fulfilling. It was the key that unlocked her way of thinking.

You can get trapped though, think too many thoughts. Feel like you are chasing the white whale, the white rabbit- and yet just keep rowing in circles. I often try to do so much, I simply shut down. I fell hard down the rabbit hole this week. I just sat at the mad hatters' tea party and watched the action. I just felt bruised and battered from the tumble. So I sat, silent, restless, yet stationary among the checkered, splashing tea cups, full of the reality of exhaustion.

Uncertainty is the Queen of Hearts. "Off with her head!" I feel like I am running through the orchard of red heart fruit trees- each trying to grab a foot. Giant cards of heart soldiers, weapons drawn trying to catch me in my plight. Sometimes you just need to hide behind a bush, sit and wait it out. Not try to escape- that is impossible, but wait it out. Wait till the face cards of doom pass. Eventually they will give up the search and you can reenter wonderland.

I did for a few days. It feels a bit safer now. Still chaotic and mysterious. Yet, hopeful. I chose the drop, the chase and the wait. Now I am emerging from the hole- seeking a tree to take respite. Another white rabbit will pass soon I am sure. For now, a good book, a cup of coffee and acceptance and awareness. A mindful journey into the world of imagination, curiosity and a few more weeks before it all begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...