Saturday, January 29, 2022

A Shift in Perspective -The Covid Diaries #29

I sit, watching my cat sleep in the warmth of the winter sun. It makes his ginger fur glisten. My kitten, white and furry, nestles beside him. It is the quiet part of the day. The morning is a bustle of energy- they topple and scurry- loud thunderous tustle breaks the silence. The early afternoon is calm and they rest. Then late-afternoon the craziness begins again and cat toys are strewn all over the house. We have had our three cats about six weeks now. They have added a new energy- it's comforting.

I am calmer these days- I tend to sit at my desk working on classroom stuff, or reading. I switch my venue from cozy corner to sofa- bed to desk chair. Our house tends to be quiet, an occasion video game yelp from one of my boys rooms- but generally quiet. We meet up for dinner- watch our favorite shows or play board games- but generally we are in our bubble of alone time during the day. Quarantining has definitely created an energy flow both calm and reassuring- yet laced with a burst of high movement and collision. I think of it like a giant lava lamp- melding and stretching- melting and separating.

I have started collecting things that remind me of childhood- stuffed animals and a few dolls. I have taken out my 1990's collection of Beanie Babies and put it on display. My office is a cornucopia of comfort and memory. It adds another layer of calm and reflection. Making my new house (lived here mopt enven 5 months yet) a home of all of our comfort materials- my boys Lego and their own collections- has helped us jumping in and out of isolation bearable. I like to be home. I do not like going to restaurants or big venues. I prefer the womb-like safety of my home.

This last week or so we have been virtual- and I have had pneumonia (for the first time in 2 years). Thank goodness the two cincided because sick days are minimal and being able to virtually teach has been a blessing. Hoarse and tired but on the mend. I am looking forward to getting back in the classroom with my High-Schoolers (who switch courses in a week, finals in a week) and my middle schoolers (who I have for another 4 weeks). I will get two new classes of high schoolers in a week. It is so weird to have two different schedules. But, it keeps me on my toes. At least I get to keep my biology HS courses. Just switching flavors.

So Covid has changed a lot in my life- in all our lives.

It is going to stick around awhile I fear- but we are all adapting. We are protecting ourselves, as we see fit. 

For this I am so blessed to have a beautiful home, a wonderful family and the opportunity to do what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...