Tuesday, November 8, 2016

EdCamp CJ: An Adventure in a Student-Centered Classroom

A few weeks ago in a chat, we were discussing the edcamp format and how engaging it is. It is a conversation strategy where rather than one person talk about their ideas, an open-dialogue ensues where everyone speaks and comments sparking an interactive and meaningful learning experience. Someone asked if anyone had used this format with students? This sparked my interest, intrigued me. At that moment I began planning an edcamp day in my classroom.

Tables in my classroom are already set up to create a communal feel. Standing desks in the back, two round tables in the middle and science tables put together in threes to make large group tables. This is the perfect setting for an edcamp style discussion. I wrote some vocabulary terms and questions on the board all about the Circulatory System. This discussion, I decided would be at the beginning of the unit rather then the end. This way it was about what they already knew, then they could learn from others rather than just review an already tapped out topic.

This was my first ever edcamp style chat. My classes have had speeches, debates, even group presentations but this was the first time they had were allowed to basically have a conversation with little help from me. I was merely an observer, I chose a moderator to keep the conversation going, while I sat back and watched. It was shaky at first with many students speaking over one-another but slowly they began to settle in and a great conversation ensued. I took notes and the next day I gave a copy to them showing them what they came up with on their own, what they knew ahead of time and we added to their prior knowledge with a recap and some notes.

I am definitely going to try this again with another unit. Now that they have had the opportunity to have one they are excited for the chance to have another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...