Thursday, November 24, 2016

Music: A Journey Through Memory

The slow, quiet beginning fades in like a sunrise over the majestic California mountains. Walking through a bustling campus unaware of the noise focused only on the increasing electronic groove of 1980s synthesizers and the hollowness of 1970s funk. I have the latest headphones and Disc Man. My 1997 physique doesn't tire as I speed walk through the crowd. My long auburn hair is pulled back in a messy ponytail. My comfy jeans and UCLA sweatshirt are keeping me warm in the cool Los Angeles breeze. A clear memory, crispness of the air, foot traffic adorning the pathway, the eagerness of students as they make the long trek across campus. This distant memory all floods in as I sit in my 2016 bedroom, headphones on listening to Elegia by New Order. A song that transcends time.

They say smell is the strongest sense, that the fragrance of flowers, odor of musk, even the delicious waft of home cooking are what trigger memories most. For me, however, it has always been music. Growing up in a house hold where movies, TV, and music were ingrained in my daily life it makes sense that soundtracks, theme songs, and popular tunes are what take me back the most. I came of age in the 1980s when Disco was over and before Grunge changed rock n roll forever. It was the generation of Prince, Pet Shop Boys, Madonna, and every synthesizer laden, emo, song imaginable, We were the generation when MTV actually played videos, Video Killed The Radio Star being the first one ever. It changed the face of music as we knew it.

I can close my eyes, turn up the volume and be transported anywhere in my life if the song is right. Duran Duran, high school quad, friends surrounding me, feathered hair and parachute pants. The Cure, San Francisco walking through The Heights. Foo Fighters, the worst break-up of my adult life, Monkey Wrench is still my battle cry. The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Radio Head for when I am down. ABBA, The Beatles, and Green Day for when I am energized. But my favorite songs ever, my go to's when I am meditating and need to clear my mind, Massive Attack: Angel & Unfinished Symphony and the song that I began this post with Elegia by New Order.

Music is transcendental, life-altering, and most importantly it is like a time-machine encompassing your being and transporting you to any time you want, childhood, adulthood, best days of your life or even those not so great times but times of great change and redirection. Next time you want to scream with frustration or cry with utter despair, listen to the cords, the gentle rhythm, the lulling tone, the energetic beat of your fondest memories being brought to life in music and you will see the light. You will reflect, remember, and recover. It will give you a new sense of purpose, determination, and fortitude if you let go and simply listen because music has power if you only open yourself up to it.

The melodic wave of the simple piano brings me into the story, Elton Johns voice, like a blanket shrowds me in a memory of my dad driving our olive green Jaguar, my mom tuning the radio, my sister and I in the back seat, quiet listening as the best song begins to play. There were no headphones or ipods only the radio or an 8-track player. Tiny Dancer hummed as all four of us unified in our engagement whispered the beautiful lyrics not singing too loudly for fear of missing any of the song. To this day I still have to whisper the lyrics. It is one of many songs that have played a role in who I have become, as with all music, listen and it will become a part of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...