Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Future City: An Engineering Competition

This competition is a popular one. I have mentored teams in two states: Georgia and Texas. This is my tenth year being a mentor. It is now becoming more popular here in Houston and more challenging. My teams have always received awards because they work very hard and generally get an award for best city design or best transportation. These last few years however, my teams have also made it into the top five regionally ending in a 4th one year and a 3rd another in place standing. Only one team per school can make the top 5 per year to make the competition more fair and competitive. This year we are determined to do better then 3rd place.

Last years 3rd place team is in tact and are competing again. This is awesome. I am excited to work with them again. In the past, schools were allowed to bring 4 teams. With the sudden influx of teams this year we are only allowed to bring 3 teams. At my school word has spread and many students want to participate. A total of 9 teams of 4 are competing locally at my school to determine which 3 teams get to attend the regional competition at the NASA Center in January. Now let me be clear, these 9 teams have been writing a 1000 word essay, designing and creating a model (to scale), playing SIMS City and creating a visual presentation and practicing a 7 minute speech since August. All in the hopes of getting to be one of the 3 teams. Astounding right?

Today is our local competition. They are pumped, eager, nervous, but excited to try out. I asked six science teachers to help me judge the performances. Each teacher will be given a rubric (designed by the actual competition) in which to score their speech and model. I will add up the scores and the top three will get to go to the regional competition. They have all worked so hard since August both in my club meetings and outside of school in their teams. I wish I could take them all. There will be stand out performances which will gravitate to the top while others will not. I have been talking to them and answering their questions since August so I am truly excited to see all the presentations. This will be my first time seeing their models and hearing their speeches.

This is an amazing opportunity for anyone to connect science, math, ELA, engineering and speech in their classrooms and beyond. It is a national competition and I hope that word spreads and others begin to join because it is fulfilling and rewarding not only for students but for parents and teachers alike. My goal is to get to nationals in Washington D.C. maybe the 10th year is the charm. I have never taken the same team twice so maybe that is a good sign. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...