Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A New Phone Number - Feels Like A Loss Somehow (28)

This week I changed phone companies. I had just paid off our families phones when our provider changed their policy and rather than us owning our phones after a costly payoff, we now had to lease them. I was furious. Thus, I switched providers. I have had my phone number for 15 years. It was an Atlanta phone number, I just never bothered to change it when I moved to Texas. It felt comfortable. This number became a part of my identity.

But, since I switched providers, I felt an urge to get a new phone number as well. It was far easier to make a clean break. So my whole family switched over from Georgia to Texas area codes. It feels like a loss, like a piece of me is gone. BUT, it also feels exhilarating because no one knows my new number yet. I feel free, at least for today- as I am beginning to send my number to my friends and family, etc.

Getting a new phone, a brand new iPhone is nice. Taking it out of the box, peeling the plastic from the screen, hearing that Apple tone as it turns on. Its cool. I have always had an iphone: started with a 4 then 5 then 7 and now an 11. I am a die hard Apple fan so there will never be a change there. The rest of my family, other than my middle child, are droid fans. Samsung to be specific. They love their phones as much as we love our Apples. Funny how divided we are on a simple piece of technology.

Otter Case on and all my apps transferred- it feels more personal now. It's my phone. My iPhone. I feel a little bit better now. Our phones have become an extension of ourselves. We freak out if we misplace it, we keep it near to us throughout the day- its another appendage. It entertains, connects and organizes. Its a calendar, wallet and map. Its everything we need, technologically speaking. If it just had a Swiss Army Knife, we would be set.

It is going to take me a day or so to remember all of our new phones numbers- but hey, I don't have to, they are in my phone. Our lives are in our phones. Photos, notes, music. Literally our heart and soul. Because, our phones are personal, intimate friends and if we break them or lose them we shut down, we are heart broken and lost. We are a digital society and a connected humanity- iphones launched the Arab Spring, they record the news, they catalogue our life experiences and as much as I am a digits over digital person- I love my phone. My shiny brand new iPhone 11, just like everyone else loves theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...