Wednesday, February 5, 2020

I Always Feel Empowered After I Read (36)

There is a face-off of time and attention, I live through it every day. I have a list of things to accomplish and a list of things I want to do. I want to find a warm-comfy corner and make a hot cup of tea and just read. My escape is reading and writing. Yet, most of my day is requirements and regiments. Finishing my to-do-list first.

I can write anywhere, I am a fiend. I write in my journal or type on a nearby computer. Doesn't matter where I am, even a sticky note, I write down ideas a lot. Write poems, write stories, write anything really. I write down my inspirations and aspirations, all the time and these phrases or words lead to blog posts- they lead to journal entries.

"My Guitar Gently Weeps," the famous Beatles song was written by George Harrison. His action was to open a random book and choose the first line he read. ________ gently weeps. He plugged in the guitar part and voila, an iconic song. He did that a lot, choose random lines and ideas he glimpsed in books and programs. I just found this out and it made me smile. I do the same thing.

I hear or read a phrase and from it- an idea- and finally words flow into a post. I usually hear or read something- jot it down in my inspiration journal and choose to not return to it until days later. I like things to percolate. I choose to forget them for a bit- they always find me again. Usually combining with a different idea. It's how I find my flow. For some people writing comes naturally- it does for me.

You have to build your determination. It doesn't always continue with an exponential ascent. I plateau every now and again. I jump into reading for awhile and this brings on a new insight. A new rhythm. I try to alternate daily between reading and writing. I love fiction books- but these days I am focusing on the non-fiction books of Pink, Gladwell and others. The books about inspiration and real life determination and ingenuity. I am connecting to that aspect of life these days. Growing through the action of others.

I appreciate the anecdotes. I enjoy learning about what motivates and drives people to behave they way they do. How our minds work. How our personalities and misconceptions steer us, shape us and above all else bond us to other people. Psychology and sociology- not just in education but in every aspect of our lives. How we miss the lies, accept what we don't understand and try to believe the best in people. Our humanity.

Reading and writing empower me. They connect me to other people by allowing me to see the differences and uniqueness among us. I feel another blog post approaching....




No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...