Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Melissa's Extraordinary Playlist (49)

I watched a show a few weeks back called Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. It is about a girl named Zoey, who while having an MRI, has music accidentally downloaded into her brain. A giant Spotify list, in her mind, due to an Earthquake. A far-fetched and silly premise yes, but a really interesting show. 

Turns out in certain situations, people around her break out into song about what they are feeling. Some are a cappella performances, others huge Broadway style numbers. Then after the song, everything goes back to normal and none is the wiser. No one remembers. Except Zoey. She usually gains a lot of insight from the song.

It just came back after all these weeks with the second episode. I am looking forward to watching it. The idea got me thinking- what if I had a playlist I could access in my mind. Then I thought, I already do. I can also click on Spotify on my phone or computer and listen anytime I want (in my free time that is). But what if I could glean insight from my students, if they broke out into song, told me what they were struggling with. It doesn't happen all the time to Zoey and well, I wouldn't want to hear music all the time either. But when needed it would be pretty insightful.

If we could concentrate and listen, get needed updates through song- that would be kinda cool. Just think if we could hear songs, in certain situations. Helping us as educators to remember to stop, think and listen. Songs that students wouldn't remember they sang, but we would gain such insight. Nothing too personal, just what we need to know to help them through struggles, academically, socially and emotionally, and in return they could hear some positive songs from us, when we are willing to send them a song or two. Life would indeed be a much more mindful place.

For Instance: Here are just three I can think of off the top of my head. But, if I took some time - the list would be endless.

Home- Phillip Phillips- 
Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you're not alone
'Cause I'm going to make this place your home
Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you're not alone
'Cause I'm going to make this place your home
Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't…

Better Day's- Goo Goo Dolls- 

And you asked me what I want this year
And I try to make this kind and clear
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
'Cause I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
And designer love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
So take these words and sing out loud
'Cause everyone is forgiven now
'Cause tonight's the night the world begins again
I need some place simple where we could live
And something only you can give
And that's faith and trust and peace while we're alive
And the one poor child who saved this world
And there's ten million more who probably could
If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them
So take these words and sing out loud
'Cause everyone is forgiven now
'Cause tonight's the…

and to let girls know they are not weak and should be strong and loud

I'm Just a Girl- No Doubt

Take this pink ribbon off my eyes
I'm exposed
And it's no big surprise
Don't you think I know
Exactly where I stand
This world is forcing me
To hold your hand
'Cause I'm just a girl, little ol' me
Well don't let me out of your sight
Oh, I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
So don't let me have any rights
Oh, I've had it up to here!

The moment that I step outside
So many reasons
For me to run and hide
I can't do the little things
I hold so dear
'Cause it's all those little things
That I fear
'Cause I'm just a girl
I'd rather not be
'Cause they won't let me drive
Late at night
Oh I'm just a girl
Guess I'm some kind of freak
'Cause they all sit and stare
With their eyes

Oh I'm just a girl
Take a good look at me
Just your typical prototype
Oh, I've had it up to here!
Oh, am I making myself clear?
I'm just a girl
I'm just a girl in the world
That's all that you'll let me be!
Oh I'm just a girl, living in captivity
Your rule of thumb

Make me worry some
Oh I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?
What I've succumbed to
Is making me numb
Oh I'm just a girl, my apologies
What I've become is so burdensome
Oh I'm just a girl, lucky me
Twiddle-dum there's no comparison


Oh, I've had it up to!
Oh, I've had it up to!!
Oh, I've had it up to here



No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...