Saturday, December 24, 2016

A Higher Elevation Conundrum

I have been in Albuquerque, 5000 ft above sea level for a week. I went to Santa Fe, 7,198 ft above sea level. I live in Houston which is essentially sea level. Can I feel a difference? Absolutely, Usually I can feel it in El Paso as you begin the incline. Thinner air, drier air, less dense oxygen molecules. It takes me about a week to adjust fully and within the first week my family generally gets a cold or flu. The air pressure is 30% lower at sea level, Houston, so it is no wonder my family struggles a bit when we first arrive here. This lower pressure making it harder for the oxygen molecules to pass through our lung membranes. For me with asthma and allergies it makes it even more difficult. But I try to take it easy for the first few days while my lungs are learning how to take in less with faster breaths.

Last summer seemed less of a struggle then this winter. Dry heat versus dry cold. Not much difference I know but it certainly feels harder to breath when the brisk air is making you cold. Bundled up in a winter coat versus shorts and a t-shirt. But it is well worth it. It seems even more so when we go to Santa Fe. Lethargy, nausea, a bit of dizziness. You would think the 2000 ft difference would be a cake walk after adjusting to 5000 ft but in actuality, at least for me going to Santa Fe is harder. But it is so beautiful you just plan on a little bit of feeling off while you are visiting. But now that I have acclimated to Albuquerque going outside and running around with my children is easier. It is cold and rainy here today but being Christmas Eve we are going to go hiking in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains and take in the amazing sunset.

A time for family and fun so we took our time getting used to the elevation. The lethargy and cold were the worst but after a few days resting in bed we are all feeling better, more active, and open to the endless possibilities Albuquerque has to offer for outside recreation. I think the Botanical Gardens light show might be next on the agenda. Science, it is so amazing to understand why the symptoms of elevation sickness appear and how to combat them. Rather than just feel bad understand why? To again see how science is a part of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...