Friday, December 30, 2016

Free Flow Writing, Reflection and Rotation Learning in Science

Writing can be focused on a particular topic for instance: Genetics, traits, selective breeding, humans in space. All of these being the upcoming topics in my classroom. But when writing is based on a predetermined topic the freedom and creativity of thought can be stifled. This I know from experience of not my own writing but also the assignments of my students. I try to keep the writing more open-ended leaving room for the imagination but often in science even doing this, creates a sort of vacuum where students are still trapped by the scientific principles that surround the topic. I have been enjoying family this holiday but always, as with any teacher, in the back of my mind I have been strategizing and planning my next unit. The scaffolding is there but the layers need further design.

Time constraints caused my team to push back two mini-units into January: Work and humans in space. We decided to combine the two and rather than have each teacher teach it, we divided the topic into 8 sub-units: eating and drinking in space, sleeping in space, exercising in space/space walks, work in space and how to overcome the effects of lack of gravity, calculating work, breathing in space, why is Earth a "Goldilocks planet?" and the importance of the sun and moon on the Earth. Each of the four of us will focus on two and then the students will rotate around our classrooms for 2 days getting full immersion into the topic. Not only does this allow them to get to know the other science teachers it also give us more time to cover the topics. Humans in space is a topic that students really like and this way they have more time to enjoy it.

After they have received the instruction in each classroom, 40 minutes each for two topics, they will return to their classrooms and write and bring together the information in a reflective and creative writing piece "A Week in the Life of an Astronaut." I will have my students at the beginning of class, free flow write. Just simple write about what they found the most interesting or fascinating about what struggles an astronaut goes through on a daily basis. I want them to make comparisons between life on Earth and life on a space station. Then I will have them write a more focused piece explaining why each of the topics is critical for an astronauts survival in space. Explaining why Earth is habitable and its distance from the sun so critical to our survival.

Allowing students to learn from different teachers is a fun way for them to hear different perspectives. Reflection is key and I am going to have my students reflect every step of the way. I am also going to ask them for feedback and if they like this rotation lesson my team will use them again in this semester with adaptations and ecosystems. Anytime students are in control and up and moving and interactive the more they will focus and take charge of their learning. Model class rotations, expectations of note-taking and reflective writing, and providing them with choice of final product: makerspace creation, or drawing to add with their story gives them some independence but also keeping them on track. I can't wait to get going on this lesson, a great topic, unique learning experience, and writing and creating together will help students become curious about a fun topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...