Monday, January 2, 2017

Back in the Saddle Again: Changes in Outlook

Back in the saddle, the first day back after a long break is always the most difficult. Sleep deprived, out of teacher mode, and readjusting to the demands of teaching. Grades are due, reports need to be printed, folders turned in, basically lots of paperwork. Then looking over the lesson plans written before the holidays, are they still appropriate, have I learned something new I want to try out. Finding time to meet with my team to collaborate and get on the same page, make copies if needed, set up the boards with the new agenda, essential questions etc. All this running through my mind as I am remembering the wonderful holiday I just had with family. So yes it is actually getting back on the saddle and the trotting of the horse begins before the full gallop and then sprint occur.

A new year, new beginnings, I want to try new things but also keep the momentum I have in my class. I love the 1-minute check-in's I have been having with my students. The flexible seating stays the same, the student-driven classroom remains. But I do want to change it up. The @seesaw will begin and the class blog will begin this semester. Also more podcasting and a You Tube channel. Those are my first goals and hopefully I can get them set up today and tomorrow before the students reemerge. Over the holidays I made myself let go completely and so now I am assimilating all of my notes and setting course for the new semester. It is quiet here, everyone in their rooms planning and strategizing. A little Spotify classic playlist and I am getting in the groove. music always helps me focus. I need a little more focus right now.

Changes in outlook: I have chosen my word for 2017- CALM. I am usually calm but I need to implement a few more strategies to help me stay calm when I get flustered or frustrated. I am going to start exercising more, at least get a Fit Bit and start walking more. Plus I have planned out a new family meal plan with my husband so we can all get eating healthier. This will help my mood and focus as well. Sometimes as teachers we focus so much on what our students need we forget what we need. I have six competitions I mentor after-school and of course three preps so my brain is usually fried and I am usually exhausted. New outlook, delegate and take on less. I will complete all my competitions but will allow parents to take charge of more practices-this will alleviate some of my frazzles.

Change in outlook, more meditation less eager to please. More focus on my classroom and bringing students to a new outlook too with more challenging readings and assignments and less paper. I would like to get away from printing anything if I do not have to. I am pretty good with this but need to get better. My students have journals that they write in a lot and copy labs into so I will utilize those more as well. I rarely take anything home to grade because I actually have good time-management but my new outlook is to leave the clubs and planning at work too. When I leave work I leave work. Twitter and blogging but no lesson planning etc. I would love to have 2 units ahead planned. New outlook- collaborate more with my team and delegate more to keep my sanity in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...