Friday, January 20, 2017

Don't Forsake Tactile for Technology: Technology is a Tool not a Goal

Technology, in most schools, is considered the true innovation. Without the latest Apps, Gadgets, Simulations, software a classroom is considered behind the times, unimaginative, traditional, boring. Many teachers say "Students will not learn a new concept unless you connect it to technology," or "Their attention spans these days are so short they need the flash and bang of technology to engage them." These flash-bang technological applications can be useful if they are relevant. They are worth while, only if they are purposeful and meaningful. Technology when over used, saturates the classroom, almost creating an atmosphere of virtual reality. So if we balance between tactile and technology are we doing harm? Or, Are we doing students a favor?

I have six laptop computers, none of which log on in less then ten minutes, so honestly what's the point? I use them only for Word or Power-Point. I also have 3 class i-pads, which have some pretty good Apps but only 3, so if I am doing stations whoo-hoo if not, well.. The best bet for my students is our school BYOD policy. 99% of the time they use their own device. But alas, Adobe Flash is not on most of their phones so we come back to, can the simulations run? I usually show any simulation or gadget on the Smartboard. Technology can for me at least, be more of a time suckage or hindrance then an actual benefit. Not saying technology isn't awesome, Twitter, Skype, You Tube, Blogspot, Seesaw just to name a few. These we use regularly and their phones work great for this. But students also have journals to keep organized and to write reflections. Good old paper and pencil does still very much go a long way.

This week I chose specific examples of both technology and tactile and offered both to students. I wanted to see which students would choose the good old hand and create method or the graphic design approach. It was a landslide, hand and create method. "Hey guys, the topic today is physical traits. It would be awesome if by the end of the period you have created an example of what different traits, phenotype characteristics, you have personally." They looked at me blankly. A hand went up for clarification. "So do you want a representation of ourselves?" "Yep, in any way you can imagine. You can use anything in the makerspace, any software on your phone etc." I watched as many wandered over to the makerspace and began collecting materials while many were also pulling out their devices or getting on the i-pads. After about ten minutes I noticed most of the technology driven students got frustrated and changed over to the makerspace. "Why are you switching over from technology," I asked. "I don't see the need to use technology it is too hard to use draw and the art Apps, it is easier to just use play-doh and it is more fun anyway."

Just one lesson though?, I thought, maybe it was a biased sample. Play-doh is really fun. So I chose a different topic later in the week. Selective Breeding. After students read a brief article, to get the basics down, I wrote on the board, what does selective breeding look like? What does it mean to breed two purebred dogs to get a purebred dog? Any way you feel comfortable discussing this topic I would like you to choose a partner and teach this to them. Demonstrate or describe what happens during the selective breeding process. This time I offered no means to get there merely the question. They had a bit longer for this activity, about 30 minutes. Many got on their phones to find articles or video clips that could explain it in more detail. So yes, technology, for research, our textbook is awful and this really is the best means to get data. If technology is a tool not a goal then the use of it here definitely fits that.

When it came to actually creating an example, a few students used Microsoft Paint to create a diagram of selective breeding, a few made a Power-Point embedding some photographs. But, the majority, used play-doh, construction paper, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, and every other supply possible from the makerspace to create an artifact they used to describe the process to their partner. At the end of the lesson I asked if they liked how this was more of a balanced tech/tactile lesson? They responded, "I like technology only when it makes things easier for me, sometimes good old hands-on is more engaging, more fun, and easier so why use technology?" I smiled and responded, "Thank you you just made my point."


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...