Monday, January 16, 2017

Demonstrative and Determined

We all have that student, the one that speaks a little too loudly, often resulting in odd looks from classmates. The one eager to say hello when they see you in the hallway. They have no reluctance to outwardly show their affection. They energize me every day. I simple smile when I see them. This type of personality often is joined with a deep sense of determination. Little deters them from a goal set by themselves. They will always volunteer to share their projects or answer questions. When I sing or dance to keep the mood upbeat and focused, they are the ones who jump up and sing too, with not even the slightest embarrassment. They are simply infectious. Every class tends to have at least one. So easy to teach because all assignments are perfect, turned in on time, they always go up and beyond.

These students however are often perfectionists and I need to help them constantly let go, be finished. Help them see that failure is o'kay. It is what we do with the failure that is important, but the word failure is so scary they wince at the mere sound of it. This is why I act silly, epic fail, embarrass myself to let them see it is safe to do so. But even with all of this nurturing and reinforcement they still remain steadfast in their bubble, their perfectionist bubble. These are often the students overlooked because they are getting A's and behave impeccably. I make sure these students have a voice too. I beckon them into the community and slowly but surely they begin to let the little things go. They begin to accept the challenge of choosing to grow and not be perfect.

These demonstrative and determined students come at all levels, they just need to be heard. The more 1-minute check-in's I have with them the more they feel comfortable with me, usually the last ones to be. They begin to ask more questions, they begin to realize perfection is never what I am looking for. Growth is. Especially with my GT students, this is a daily occurrence, the need to simply calm their nerves, give them options, make sure they understand that doing their best is good enough. These are the students that push themselves so hard, with 10 clubs, band, choir etc. They actually lose their hair from the stress. I want to lift any burden I can. Just listening does a great deal. I give them a chance to ask a million questions one-on-one until they are comfortable to go ahead. Let them be themselves but quietly reassure because we all need that gentle nudge of reassurance even the most outgoing and high achieving students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...