Saturday, January 7, 2017

Rebellion is Built on Hope

I just finished watching Rogue One for the first time. I can't believe it took me so long to see it, but illness prevented me from seeing it earlier. Amazing movie, no spoilers I promise. It just inspired me in so many ways that I have to write about it. There are two quotes that stick with me the most "Rebellion is built on hope," and "I'm one with the Force. The Force is with me." They are two ideals I will add to my 2017 repertoire. I have to admit I have always been a rebel. As a child, I questioned everything, was big on problem-solving (took apart the phone and remote many times) and was always outside rough and tumble with the boys in the neighborhood. I never had many friends but my imagination always took me to distant galaxies and magical landscapes. I grew up in a world of fantastic movies like E.T., Raider's of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, and Close Encounter of the Third Kind. What a time to be immersed in film as a child. These movies helped me create my psyche, one of quiet rebellion but inquisitive and curious, leaving me with a definite sense of independence.

"Rebellion is built on hope." Hope is a sense of longing, a desire to change and grow. It pushes us through the dark times, guides us to a new outlook even when discouraged and alone. When presented with indecision it focuses our view and helps us see the direction we should follow. Rebellion can not occur without hope. Rebellion is not always loud and immediate. It is often silent and enduring. It can be directed at miss justice but can also unite around unbridled and forward thinking ideas that bring about change and progression. Every day in my classroom I strive to be a rebel. I do not want to cause upheaval but rather spark curiosity in my students so they become the rebel force, they find their united voice. When they feel safe to be rebellious they are truly learning. With common goals and a focused agenda students become allied and driven to conquer any misconceptions that may lie in their path.


"I am one with the force. The force is with me." The force is neither magical or supernatural. It is the intuition and drive that we as humans listen to. We are guided by our emotions, faith, desires and senses. The energy we put into our learning and passions comes back to us. The failures we overcome, the sadness we endure, the struggles we bare are all a part of the force. The force picks up on where hope leaves off. It is the power we all have inside of us to keep going. The vibration of the universe steering us to find out what is true for ourselves. When a teacher builds a safe environment in which learning can take place but then steps back and lets her young "jedi" become "jedi masters" she is letting the force become the focus rather than the manual or predetermined flight plan. Allow students to find the force on their own ensures that they truly become "rebel jedi masters." Masters of their own learning and owners of their own story lines.


We all have the force within us. A harsh word of discouragement or a look of disapproval can cause us to lose sight of it. Failure can push it away from our grasp if we let it. But when we are fearless of hurdles and setbacks the force will direct us into hyperspace where we can focus and reach our destinations more quickly. A teacher should not be the master. In many movies the master is the wisest individual in the room. But often they are arrogant. If you believe in your students, provide them with inquiry based, active, relevant learning experiences they should become their own masters. A teacher should guide not lead. A teacher should often be quiet, listening and removing the guardrails so that their students can make their own choices. Whether the dark side of the empire or the rebel alliance it is a choice and when we get to make our own decisions we learn from them. They help create a growth mindset and ultimately set the stage for some really awesome light saber battles. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...