Saturday, January 28, 2017

Welcome to the Battlefield

As teachers we all want to feel like we belong. That what we do in our classes and beyond makes a difference. We seek acknowledgement of our hard work but often it goes unnoticed, unless we brag and shout it from the mountain tops, a quality I myself try to avoid at all costs. I share on Twitter and Voxer but not in my own school. I just do not want to start waves when there is already tidal currents abound as it is. As teachers we go to conferences and read great books about teacher voice and leadership- but we often hold ourselves back for the fear of negativity from our peers. It is difficult to be a leader, no matter how positive our personalities are, how inspirational we may be, there will always be those who dislike us or are jealous of our accomplishments.

Teaching is a profession that I feel should be all about recognizing and celebrating accomplishments that have improved the learning of our students. I am not talking about test scores, but day to day classroom activities where our students are thriving because of the happenings within the learning environment. The land-mines naysayers toss in our path, the doubt we feel when we wait for any sign of recognition but receive none, are the layers of trenches, barbed wire, and yes even tier gas that lies between us and contentment and excitement for our profession. This is the battlefield we must traverse to reach the sanctuary of our classroom. I set a goal for myself this year, try to bring about positive change, be the voice of my students. But the goal I should be focusing on is my voice and getting my voice to unite others to a common cause-teaching our students how to teach themselves and how to think for themselves.

The battlefield however seems to be enlarging every day. The gossip mill is running amok, the animosity and discontent seems to be permeating from the walls all around me. It makes me sad. I work at a positive school for the most part students are happy, administration is a positive force yet often a quiet one. If I need anything it is there, but the offer is never proactive. The faculty basically keeps to themselves, rather then step into the hall or visit another classroom. We shy away and close the door behind us, feeling the push away rather than inclusiveness. I feel weird just walking into someone else's room unless I am invited, so I don't most often. I have the #observeme on my doors and I am actively inviting others in. I am hoping this sparks a trend. Two of my teammates are going to add one on their door. A gentle wave but a wave nonetheless and I hope it builds and becomes a tidal wave where others will surf it to the coast, where a huge beach party will arise and together we will become a stronger community.

A battlefield is necessary sometimes to bring about change. Like a soldier, I will dodge the musket fire, and forge ahead because that is how we inspire others, it just takes one observer, one person who notices and others will begin to listen and then...a movement begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...