Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Being Mindful in A Busy World

I read once in an article this very insightful analogy: Think of yourself as a plant that may need more or less water, sun, or fertilizer. We wouldn't blame a plant for wilting because it wasn't being watered, or droop if it wasn't being fed and nurtured. We also can't blame ourselves if we feel emotionally drained if we have been sitting in fluorescent lit rooms all day, haven't had time for our afternoon snack. If we are then maybe we need to spend more time in the sunlight, soaking up the warmth. When we have time to relax with family and friends and find a balance between work and leisure we are healthier and more focused. How can we be mindful and find calm amidst our hustle and bustle of daily life. Yoga and meditation can be the answer for some but there are simpler strategies, quicker action plans that can be utilized in line at the supermarket, in between classes, and even on the car ride home.

To find ourselves we often have to swim against the current of distraction and avoidance. there is always something pressing: return an email, send a Tweet, respond on Facebook. Our children need attention, we need to make dinner, we have to grade papers. There is always something that needs to be done. But unplugging and stepping away is necessary. Even if it is for 4-5 minutes. We need to face our vulnerability and stress head on. We need to acknowledge our weaknesses and triggers and learn to cope with them quickly. We all are tired at the end of the day and it is important to lean in to this exhaustion and let it ease us down for the evening. We do not want to come home distracted and frustrated because this will take away valuable time with our family and friends. How can we focus before we get out of the car, before we leave our classrooms for the day? 4 x 4 breathing. 4 seconds breathe in....focus on your intention. My intention is to leave any stress behind. 4 seconds of breathing out...fast a burst of exhalation...letting the stress go. Do this four times, every time repeating your intention. My intention is to leave my stress behind.

The first time you try this you will say to yourself, I know because I did to myself the first time I did this, "This is not going to work, this is stupid." But you will go home a little less stressed and maybe you wont even realize it. Then the next day do exactly the same thing. After the 3rd or 4th day it will become more relaxing, more calming and eventually it will become habit. Now I do this in between classes to get me pumped and focused for the next group of eager and excited students. I also do this every morning before I step out of bed. My intention is to be compassionate and focused today. My intention is to listen and learn from others today. My intention is to find calm and balance today. So when I get to work no matter how crazy my morning was with 4 boys, I have a focal point. I have intentions. I repeat throughout the day and remind myself how well I am doing with my intentions. I just followed one of my intentions today. This helps me stay focused on them all day long. Just before I fall asleep I remember how many times I followed my intentions that day and reflect on how I may incorporate them for the next day, change them based on my attention and awareness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...