Saturday, March 11, 2017

Spring Break: Respite, Repose, Recharge

It is spring break, finally, a week to step away and regain my balance and peacefulness. The calm before the storm. Testing season begins when we return. But that needs to be a million miles away from my mind right now. A busy competition season coming to an end all except for two. National Science Bowl taking 2nd, 5th and 6th out of 32 teams. My student making the state level for National Geographic Geography Bee. Two of my teams making nationals for Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance. My Future City team taking 4th place in regionals out of 30 teams. After 8 competitions I only have 4 left. This very much sitting in the back of my mind. But right here right now I am letting all of this go because I truly need a total break from school and competitions, at least for a week.

A respite, a jaunt to Albuquerque to visit my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. A vacation not of relaxation, not with my 7 year old son and 2 year old grandson, but a respite. Escaping my neighborhood which keeps my constantly in school mode. A 13 hour car ride in the morning is not my idea of a good time but I am getting used to the drive and actually have time to just stare out the window and reflect, a lot. West Texas can be a very boring landscape indeed but you do get to see hundreds of wind farms along the way- giant blades whirling in the Texas heat. This time of the year at least it wont be 100 degrees but the humidity still follows you across the desert. Once you cross through El Paso and into New Mexico the slow climb in elevation brings with it the cool New Mexico breeze and crisp dew. Looking forward to being a bit chilly.

Spring break, why do schools take one? When was this repose from academia actually instituted into the school calendar? I was curious so I researched it. When I was a child it was Christmas break and Easter break. Now of course they are the holiday or winter break and spring break. But why do students and teachers get this time off when no other profession does? It all goes back to the early 30's when college students, behind the wheel of their new automobiles took to the "road trip" mentality quite literally. They needed a break. To get home to see family for the holidays. This time for travel to and from school turned into a week long vacation and thus, spring break was born. However, many school districts no longer build their spring breaks into the week of Easter, instead choosing mid-March as their respite time. The partying at the beach in large crowds well that came later. Funny I never went to a spring break in college, just seemed chaotic. But now as a teacher I appreciate the opportunity to get a break. Take respite, repose, and recharge. We only have 2 1/2 months left till summer guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...