Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Happy Birthday Alexander: My Last 7 Year Old

His blonde hair is curly but only in the back
Blue eye wide as he stumbles into my bedroom
He waits, putting his head on my pillow
I open one eye and smile at him "7 years old"
It is weird to think he will be my last 7 year old
The last of 5 children

I try to think back to my 7th birthday....blank
I wonder if he will remember his
"Can we go....now"...he says quietly trying not to wake my sleeping, snoring husband
"Not yet, it is 6:30 in the morning, but soon baby." he crawls into bed
An action I still appreciate as the hugs are getting sparse
"I am 7 years old mommy, I feel bigger now."
I smile

Disney store....Tsum Tsum's in hand
Giant chocolate chip cookie
Chicken nuggets and a milk
his favorite
Cupcakes and verse
sleep

A birthday is like a day of wishes, getting just about everything you want
as a child
at least it feels that way
7 years old, one of the first you remember
I think back to my 7th, now remembering
Grandparents, doll, vanilla icing
the smell of my grandmothers perfume permeates in
family
birthdays are family

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...