Friday, March 24, 2017

Mindful Design: Does Your Classroom Tell A Story?: Transforming Uninspiring into Hyperbole.

Last year I wrote and received a grant for standing desks in my classroom. They are now an integral part of the flexible, communal seating arrangement in my classroom. Currently I am writing another grant for Hokki stools, Stationary Balls, Yoga Mats, and giant pillows to further create a mindful learning environment. Does your classroom tell a story? That was a question I read the other day in an article in Edutopia. This question has been sitting on my mind ever since. Looking around my room I see that it does have personality, it does scream "there is learning going on in here" with a makerspace, plants & dirt, various style tables but a "story"? That I am not so sure of. The Katy Education Foundation ventured in my classroom today to video the success of the standing desks, they wanted to see how well their grant money was spent but also to see the impact of flexible seating on a junior high classroom.

Does my classroom tell a story? Not yet. How do I redesign my room to not be a science classroom but a mindful learning experience. Here is my thought, of course it will need to be a slow process and with another grant it could truly become an awesome place to collaborate. My whole concept of teaching is based on student-centered learning. So how can I create an atmosphere of personal choice but keep the integrity of a science lab? I am going to create learning spaces: standing desks with Hokki stools and stationary balls. I am going to lower the round tables to almost the floor and get giant pillows to put around it creating a Moroccan style seating area. Then some comfy arm charis around a higher level round table like a coffee house. Options. Right now I have flexible seating, which the kids love, but I am limited to what I have. But hopefully with a grant I can truly immerse into a "Feng Sui" like Zen classroom for next year. I might teach science but that is no reason not to create creative and fun learning spaces. It takes some modelling and trust but I know my students will love it.

I was the first grant for standing desks and the wave is coming because now, many others are asking for grants too and it looks like stage one of flexible seating has begun district wide. But for me, stage two is beginning. I want my classroom to tell a story. Not a story I have written but an ever changing narrative of hyperbole and metaphor bridging the gap between traditional and zen, mindful classrooms. Student voices creating the dialogue and exposition. Right now the story is being written but it feels very specific and organized rather than a free flow of brainstorming and excitement. This is what the story of my classroom needs to become. I think the framework for it needs to be the design of learning spaces and turning flexible seating into creative pods and centers where every day can be a different experience based on mood and motivation. Relaxed or focused learning. But learning based on student voice, choice and community through options and unique arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...