Sunday, April 5, 2020

OODA - A Cycle of Sanity (96)


The OODA loop (Observe, Orient, Decide, Act) is a four-step approach to decision-making that focuses on filtering available information, putting it in context and quickly making the most appropriate decision while also understanding that changes can be made as more data becomes available.

Confine to a cycle. Recon needed. The OODA loop was designed by a military strategist, but it is very much relevant to most of us today. We are bombarded with information, we hear conflicting ideas, devastating stories, hopeful scenarios- and we are left in a daze.

We observe normalcy at times and what feels like apocalyptic circumstances at others. The range of what we believe to be real or fake news- hype or fact is astounding. Today alone I have read six articles all conflicting one another in regard to the spread of the virus, symptoms of the virus and taking care of those who are infected.

I read about OODA and I thought, interesting. How can I integrate this into a routine where I can make sense of the barrage of data? Sift through the innuendo and charm and recognize the helpful and meaningful. Truth- not everyone is honest. 

Truth- some people are deliberate in their deception and are trying to make things worse in social media. Truth- we are quarantined, or distancing and we have to not just seek but find reliable data.

Observe
I find that not relying on Facebook for my news is helpful. Actually, going to reliable sources- news outlets I trust. Then finding another source. If I read six conflicting reports- I wait until the next day. I give them time to get their data straight. To align and write research-based articles. Sometimes they publish before they get all the facts.

Orient
Orientation can be a challenge if I am feeling a sense of gloom and doom. Which at times I do. I mean have you read news articles lately? They are scary. Over exaggerated and extremist. But to get a sense of the truth I daily read all kinds of articles. I like to know what both scientists and politicians are saying. It helps me acclimate and position myself in an offensive mode, rather than a defensive one.

Decide
Decisions are personal. The welfare of my family is personal. How we protect ourselves is personal. I do not want to make irrational decisions nor do I want o feel boxed into a corner, because I do not know all the facts. I am a researcher at heart. I do not make decisions lightly. I make lists, pros and cons, and I analyze data. That is the reader in me. The more information I have the better equipped I am to make a good decision. The observe and orient stages allow me to do that.

Act
I am definitely someone who acts. I do not sit on the sidelines and hope everything is going to be alright. I am a rule follower, until the rule does not make sense and I have data that says, try something new. This is a precarious time where rule following is important. Staying home is important. That is my action. Distancing and choosing to stay diligent and rational.

OODA
It’s funny how if you do not stay busy, your mind creates situations of doubt. The second you cough or sneeze, you get worried. But allergies still exist. Influenza is still invading. Stomach aches, headaches and runny noses are happening all over the globe- and they are not Covid-19. Yet, sometimes they are. Diligence but rationality is needed.

Research and data collection. Finding fact. Listening to reliable intel. This is so important right now. OODA- a cycle that requires recon. It requires patience. It requires you to not allow bias to consume you. 

Do not let yourself make a judgement or let an uninformed opinion guide you to make rash choices.

Stay home. Do not allow yourself to get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of data. Choose your few reliable resources and stick to them. I use the CDC, New York Times and NPR. Although I glance at CNN and Reuters. Then I compare their information. It is tough to stay level-headed, but this cycle- this loop of OODA, keeps me sane.

Knowledge is power.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...