Sunday, September 18, 2016

A Quick Book Review on 2 Amazing Education Books: Part 1

Fish In A Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

This is a beautiful, poignant, insightful and relevant novel about growing up with Dyslexia. Like the main character, many children, including myself, grow up misunderstood. When I was in grade school I was always in trouble. I knew the principal on a first name basis. Not because I was a bad students, but because I, like the protagonist in the novel, would act out when I got frustrated. I was frustrated a lot because I could not understand the directions, or complete the math problems, or keep up with other students academically. Like Ally, I was not diagnosed with Dyslexia until 6th grade. This is an amazing book about life as a special needs child and the trials and tribulations a child with a learning disability face on a day to day basis.







The Writing on The Classroom Wall by Steve Wyborney

This is an insightful book about asking the right questions and getting your students to see the world from a different perspective. The author explains how writing is a great tool for reflection and making connections on a larger scale. Students will gain insight about their own way of thinking and how they best process information by reflective writing and reflective thinking. Students should be led down a path full of inquiry, problem-solving and critical thinking. Posing questions about their own thinking and information processing will teach students to be mindful and make more meaningful connections in their learning. Empower students to find their own voice, to search for meaning not a specific answer, and use reflection as a tool for growth and understanding.







No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...