Saturday, September 10, 2016

Social Inclusion: Where do I fit in?

As a student growing up, I suffered from Dyslexia and a speech impediment. This created a challenging situation for me. I was ferociously bullied. This led me to be extremely introverted. I was never provided a place to find like-minded students and discover that I was not alone. I look back and wish I had had a place where I could have laughed and bonded with other introverted and learning disabled students. The question I asked my parents every night growing up "Where do I fit in? Why don't people like me?"

A day in the life of a Pokemon Club:

2:36, the bell literally just rang. As my 8th period exits my room a crowd gathers at my door. Excited, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders peering through the window. Anticipating their entrance. It feels like the opening day line of a Marvel Superhero movie, wide eyed fans, the vibration of energy in the air. This however, is this years first meeting of Pokemon Club.

I have mentored Pokemon here for years, long before Pokemon Go catapulted the franchise to world fame. I actively sought out a club where disenfranchised students could meet and feel safe. As a child I never found this place, and I wanted to make sure that my own child, a huge fan of Pokemon and Super Smash Brothers, had a place to find others who enjoyed it as much as he does. At first, during the morning announcements my class would snicker at the thought, but I would say "What interests you? Are you sure you have the right to judge anyone for what they enjoy and are passionate about?" Funny how some of those same kids have joined Pokemon club.

I let the excited crowd in and they all sit down at tables some beginning to play on their Nintendo DS instantly. Others, eagerly awaiting the T.V. and Wii to begin playing Super Smash Brothers. The T.V. is rolled in and bags zip open and various controllers are held up in a competitive fashion. The discussion arises " Cool controller, have you seen the... or the ..." I have no idea what they are saying. But, the excitement is intoxicating.

They settle in to various card games or video game tournaments. I take a head count, gather permission slips.The conversations get louder but more focused. Cheers and jeers as players win and lose different games. I take a seat and just watch. Watch and listen. Camaraderie, common interest, deep passion for Pokemon and Super Smash Brothers. Every fact, history, detail rolls off their tongues. I still have no idea what they are talking about.

I sigh and feel such joy at watching these children interact and play together. One student, whom I taught last year, autistic and shy, is laughing and doing his best at beating an opponent in a dark forest, "run, catch the fish, get the Downta, aw man, get it get it!" He loses but willingly passes the controller to the next in line. Respect and cooperation. The true gamers' motto.

These children are a mix of the popular kids and the misfits, geeks, nerds etc. I was one of these kids. One of the ones who was bullied and never quite fit in. But here they do. They seamlessly blend into a sea of smiling faces bonding over a common interest. Class, race, socio-economics, gender are obsolete here. All fans, all gamers', all Poke-heroes. It is awe inspiring. I think if we could only get adults to interact and accept one another like this.

I make sure I find a day every year where these great kids can find one another. The usually shy, quiet often bullied students become Shiny Pokemon and Superheros for at least an hour every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...