Thursday, September 15, 2016

Do What You Love, Love what you Do.


Teaching is a commitment. It is a calling. It is a choice. There comes a time in every one's life where you lose interest in something, where it becomes tedious and frustrating and no longer enjoyable. This has happened to me with knitting, yoga, and countless things over my life-time. But teaching, is something I love every day. There are days where my lessons are amazing and students are engaged and learning takes place. There are others where I think I have designed a successful lesson, I am so excited but it does not go as planned. I set out every day to find the joy in what I do. I love what I do and continue to do what I love.

I often hear other teachers complaining about certain aspects of teaching: behavior management, curriculum, new implementations, parents, students, etc. Frustrations are inevitable. But when every day is a struggle to get through, when you generally do not love your job, maybe it is time to retire or switch careers. You have to love children and be flexible and open-minded to be a teacher. Great teachers burn out. Amazing educators just lose their drive and focus. Always do what you love and love what you do.

A growth mindset is key to loving what you do. Curiosity and wonderment about education comes from finding a strong PLN on Twitter, Voxer, and of course in your own school. Collaborating on new projects, sharing new ideas, and having a willingness to take risks is what keeps you driven and focused. If you step outside your comfort zone and continue to try new things you will never get bored of teaching. If you surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people you will not burn out.

To be happy with your career, whatever career that may be, you need to see the possibilities and reach out for them. You need to seek opportunities to fail and grow and improve. You need to reignite the passions by incorporating them into your classroom. To love what you do is to be constantly discovering new aspects of it. It is as simple as trying a new paint or software.  Little or big changes can help spark your imagination and set a new course for yourself. Find your calling, let it lead you down a path where enlightenment surrounds you.

I choose every day to find something wonderful about my day. I read over my philosophy of teaching, vision statement, and goals weekly to help focus me on my quest. I reflect daily through my blog or by simple sticky notes to keep me grounded and focused. Teaching can be overwhelming and frustrating almost every day. Be organized and compassionate and flexible and you will find these days become less frequent. The joys and rewards teaching brings far outweigh any negative aspects. Find the calm, feel the love. Do what you love and love what you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...