Monday, September 5, 2016

After-School Clubs: A Way to Build Connections with Students

Day 5 #blog365

About ten years ago I was sitting in my room and the phone rang. It was a teacher from another school who wanted to know if I wanted to form a robotics team at my middle school. I had never thought of it actually, being my 5th year of teaching, I had settled into a groove but had not ventured outside the classroom walls with students. I jumped at the chance. This was not a paying position purely voluntary, as my science competitions have always been for me, but the opportunity they provide, is immeasurable.

I have had science club ever since, consisting of various different science or STEM competitions. In the past, I have mentored Lego Robotics, E-cybermission, Georgia Best Robotics. Once I moved to Texas I continued with my favorite, Future City Competition a competition encompassing not only STEAM, but also writing and speech. This will be my 9th year in this competition with three different schools. It is a worthwhile, challenging and engaging competition.

I have dabbled in debate but quickly switched gears to what I am more comfortable with, which is quiz bowl. National Science Bowl, National Geography Bee, and NAQT or National Academic Quiz Team are exhilarating and rigorous competitions where students study various topics and use a buzzer system to compete against other teams. This does take a lot of time and practice, three week camps over the summer with my students, but well worth it. TEAMS by TSA is an activity based science and math competitions ending with tests and essays. This is a challenging experience where students really need to work as a team to successfully accomplish the tasks. Finally, Energy City of the Future: Houston and other local competitions are a great way to finish up the year.

As a teacher my ultimate goal is to help students reach their full potential. By mentoring science club and these amazing competitions I get to connect with students. Getting to know the parents of all these students is also amazing. Forming a teacher and parent community is key to fostering a positive school culture. Attending competitions puts you in contact with new educators and mentors. Science competitions also create an opportunity for the community to root for one-another and to meet new educators around the region.

This is not for wealth or fame because with these opportunities comes neither. However, for my students they promote, respect, sportsmanship, cooperation, a dedicated work-effort, and motivation to do their best. It is never about winning for us as a team but to have fun. We do win often but not always and learning about defeat is another great life-skill all students should be faced with. After-school clubs are the best way to get to know and understand your students interests and motivations. They do not even need to be academic. I have also mentored the Pokemon/Smash Brothers club for three years and it offers a place for like-minded spirits to talk, share, and well...find Pokemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#OneWord2023- Plant

Humus, soil, Earth- the substance that brings fertility and nourishment. Home to decomposers, revitalizers and care-givers. The foundation f...